krash2
Silver
Silver

OE GTV-6 radio/cassette help

Post by krash2 »

Perhaps someone can help with this. For reasons of appearance, I’m going to reinstall the original equipment radio/cassette deck in my GTV-6. All of the modern audio options just look too whizbang-zoomy-technoid. The original unit installed in this 1986 car is a Clarion, model PU-9034B according to a sticker on the bottom of the unit. I spent some time searching the internet for service and/or owner’s manuals for this model, but didn’t find anything.

There are 11 wires coming out of the back of the unit, a column of 6 wires next to a column of 5. Some were easy to figure out. These are the wires.

1. GREEN = FRONT 7. BLACK = ROUND
2. RED ? 8. GRAY = FRONT
3. YELLOW = ILLUMINATION 9. GRAY/BLACK = REAR
4. GREEN = FRONT/REAR 10. GRAY = FRONT/REAR
5. BLUE/YELLOW = ANTENNA POWER 11. GREEN/BLACK = REAR
6. BLUE ?

There are just two wires that I can’t figure out. One is the red wire (2.), which ordinarily I might think is the unit’s power wire, if it weren’t for the blue wire (6.). The blue wire has a fuse capsule and what appears to be some sort of Clarion relay installed in the wire.

Anybody got an idea what the red and blue wires do? Any help or advice is appreciated.

Charlie Koster
San Gabriel, CA
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Re: OE GTV-6 radio/cassette help

Post by GTV27 »

sorry, but mine was a pioneer (and anyway is in the old man's shed about 100miles away)

It may not be relevant to yours, but as I recall, the blue wire was the power antenna, the yellow wire was the constant voltage and the red wire was ignition swiched voltage. Sometimes the red and yellow wires had little boxes on them that contained a fuse and filter circuit. The blue and yellow wire could be an amp trigger (but that would be a bit advanced for the time...)

Oh and I installed a modern Kenwood in mine because the radio reception was cr@p after the windscreen was replaced (without the onglass aerial) and I wanted CD capability (I'm yet to get with the whole ipod thingy). With a bit of hunting I managed to find a fairly basic unit with green illumination that does not look out of place in the GTV6 cockpit.
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
krash2
Silver
Silver

Post by krash2 »

Hi, Jason,

In my first GTV-6, an '84, the PO had installed a pull-out Kenwood that had switchable interior lighting, green or orange. It looked very nice with the green.

I know what some of the wires do because they had been labeled by an installer at some point. Four were tied together labeled "front," four were tied together labeled "rear," the blue/yellow was labeled "ant," the black was, of course, "ground," the yellow was "illum", leaving only the red and blue. You're probably right, both the red and blue wires are for power, one switched at the on-off knob, and the other one to run the clock when the unit was turned off. I'm going to wire it with that in mind and see whether it melts into slag or not.

Thanks for your reply.

CK
krash2
Silver
Silver

Post by krash2 »

I'm kind of slow with this thread, but before finishing up with the radio/cassette, the dash needed to be removed/replaced and some of the AC components that were removed by the EPO needed to be reinstalled.

I'm left with the two power wires for the OE Clarion radio/cassette unit--everything else is hooked up. Can anyone suggest how/where these can be connected to the power source. Is there somewhere on the firewall in the engine compartment?

Charlie Koster
San Gabriel, CA
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

The GTV doesn't have an accessory type ignition switch position so if you connect to ignition, the unit will not work if you are parked with engine off. Therefore you don't have much choice if you want to use the unit independent of ignition than to hook up to a spare B+ rail connection in the fuse box and use an in-line fuse from there to your unit.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse