zar162b4
Silver
Silver

Suggestions on an Alfa GTV6 Radio

Post by zar162b4 »

Hello,
I have recently bought a December 1980 GTV6. The car came without a radio and I am planning to buy a new one. Could anybody suggest me a model with a Vintage-look which might suit the interior of the car?
Thanks and regards
Oscar
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Re: Suggestions on an Alfa GTV6 Radio

Post by SimonB »

I would personally try and source a high end period stereo, if it has line in you can even use your iPod with it. By the 80s there were some pretty decent in car systems around with plenty of power and good quality if they are in good condition. Makes like Alpine, Pioneer, etc....

I have a 1999 Alpine head unit that doesn't look too out of place in the slot, and it has a 6 CD changer although this robs valuable boot space. Fine for normal listening with some nice speakers though.

I'd have a look at eBay and see whats around in local 2nd hand shops.

Good Luck!

Mine looks a bit like this:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/CD-AUTORADIO-CDE-785 ... 1|294%3A50

but with cassette instead of CD slot...
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver
zar162b4
Silver
Silver

Post by zar162b4 »

Salut Simon,
Merci pour tes conseils. Actually I think I'll follow your suggestion to see if I can find some good used unit. Nakamichi would be the preferred choice (I like very much the design of the Nakamichi CD 700, which looks a bit vintage, but it is bloody expensive!!!).
Merci encore
Oscar
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

all the period looking new gear is really expensive. I went with a basic kenwood model as it was cheap and had green illum to match the dash. An option if you are really fanatical about being authentic is to find a period pioneer to fill the slot and put in a remote controlled unit to provide the actual sound
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
zar162b4
Silver
Silver

Post by zar162b4 »

I would not mind to find an original Pioneer in working order (I am not a car audio fanatic, actually I bought a rear hatch shelf because the previous owner made holes for bigger speakers, while I am planning to revert to the original situation). The problem is that it would be difficult to find such a radio or the spare parts to bring it back to life (2 years ago I went crazy to find some parts for my 1988 kenwood KRC 757 installed on my Alfa 75). For this reason, I am looking for something more recent with a "retrò" design if possible. Next August I'll fly for holidays to Japan, I am curious to see if I'll be able to find a good 2nd hand radio (again, Nakamichi would be my favourite option, but I'll gladly read any of your suggestions regarding a recent unit with vintage design) at Akihabara Electronics shops.
Thank you again
Oscar