AlfaAnthony
Silver
Silver

Milano Interior lights

Post by AlfaAnthony »

I am trying to figure out how the interior lights are controlled on my '88 Verde. When I first got the car, everything worked "normally". That is, when I opened one of the doors, the lights went on. When I closed the doors, the lights went out after a delay.
Gradually this started to malfunction intermitantly so that some times the lights wouldn't come on at all when one of the doors was opened. Now, they never come on based on door opening!
For the record, the lights function fine when they are turned on manually.
Where does on start to diagnose this?

Tony Brucia
Mineola, NY
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Re: Milano Interior lights

Post by fedezyl »

Every door has near the hinges a little pressure switch held by a 10mm nut, it happened the same on my 33, just take these off, clean them with some rust off thing (wurth for example) and put it back on, it should work fine, real easy 10min job.

These tend to form rust a little bit and isolate the switch, therefore not work anymore as they should, a little cleaning should do the job :wink:
AlfaAnthony
Silver
Silver

Post by AlfaAnthony »

OK, I finally had a chance to look things over. There is no switch except on the drivers door. All the lights work correctly when using any door except the drivers door. There is no push switch in any of those doors! The drivers door does have such a switch but it controls the buzzer that buzzes when the key is in the ignition. It works fine, btw. So now I know the problem is whatever mysterious devise that triggers the lights.
Anyone know what the fix is for that?

Tony Brucia
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Well...i'm definetely positive such switch exist, my 33 and my 1979 giulie has it.., it should be right were the door hinges are or on the other side close to the locks...that would be my first thing to check, if not the other thing might be the light assembly itself, but given that those switches are exposed to weather that would be my first suspect...i'll try to post some pics
AlfaAnthony
Silver
Silver

Post by AlfaAnthony »

Don't bother! I'am taslking about my 75 (which I should have made clear), and its as I have outlined above. I understand there is a switch that is part of the lock mevhanism!