grega
Gold
Gold

rev counter and spedo bent needles

Post by grega »

Has anyone found a good solution this problem?
The way our rev counter and spedo needles seem to bend and get stuck to the face
of the gauge?
Just wonder what others have done? and what worked out nice.

Greg A
Toronto
BussoV6
Silver
Silver

Re: rev counter and spedo bent needles

Post by BussoV6 »

I realise this OP is quite old so hopefully you have sorted the problem.

I had the same problem on an old Giulietta a few years ago.

By using a new razor blade, I firstly shaved off part of the needles that was touching the plastic screen. I also cut a small notch in the back of the needle close to the pivot and then gently bent it and put a small blob of superglue into the notch.
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

Busso,
thanks for the response.
I haven't fixed the problem as of yet. sometimes the rev counter gets stuck. I wonder if the needle from another car would work? I'll give your method a shot.

Greg
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

I gently pop the needle off but note where tip is (as long as it is not resting on the pin!!)! If needle is on the pin, I do not remove the needle for this repair...can offset speedo reading.

Pull gently on hub, NOT needle. These things turn to dust when you touch them!

place near(but don;t melt it) a solder iron until soft enough to bend straight.Expect the tip to break off.

Then use superglue over surface to fill any voids. let dry 48 hours! Don;t want CA fumes inside your gauge.
Finally, a trip to the hobby store for small testors neon dayglo orange.

Then after all dry (24 hours) very gently press back on with tip at same position as before by pressing on the HUB only.

Good luck....
Corne
Silver
Silver

Post by Corne »

grega wrote:Busso,
thanks for the response.
I haven't fixed the problem as of yet. sometimes the rev counter gets stuck. I wonder if the needle from another car would work? I'll give your method a shot.

Greg
I used the neeedles from a VW rabbit
nearly the same size and shape
:wall:
Al_Cam
Silver
Silver

Post by Al_Cam »

I made some replacements from some every thin aluminium. Longer than the originals and with pointed tips so they make it easier to read. Bent them in a V shape along their length and glued them to the hubs with the ridge facing the driver so that they reflect the illumination at night from the chamfered edges. Super glued them to the plastic hub and painted white.

If you pull the black plastic hub off the spindle/pin…

The rev counter had a stop in the mechanism (on my meter anyway) so that I could put the hub back on the spindle at the right spot.

The speedo didn’t, so you will probably be putting it back at a random speed. What I’ve done now is with the speedo mechanism pulled out of it’s case you an see on one side where the rotor (magnet?) spins when the needle is moved. I made a small mark on the rotor and an adjacent stationary part with a black marker to line up the needle at rest. Otherwise it’s a pain to pull the meter out, pull it out of the case (6 screws) put it back. Go for a drive. Pull it out again… The mark also makes it easy to move it a little to change any offset.

I also checked the balance of the new needles by hanging them from a bit of cotton – to find they were ok – there’s a little counterweight on the back of the plastic hub, held together by pins from the original needles that pass through the hub & weight and then the ends melted.

Next job is a speedo corrector from Jaycar as I’ve got the speedo reading correct at 50 – 60 km/h but when I’m doing 100km/h the speedo reads 85. My car has wheels from a 156.

AL.
Al Campbell