Anything that does not fit into other topics.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Hahaha! :D

Integrale + Snow = ever so much fun. :D
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Barry,

With the copper head gaskets you will need to torque it down, run the engine, and torque it again about 4 times.

Cometic here in the US makes copper head gaskets for just about anything and their website (cometic.com i think) may be helpful to you.

Good luck,
Scott
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Scot,thanks for the heads up..
I have now made my own gaskets..Its time consuming but I know that they are dimensionaly correct..

I think I may as well start posting what I believe is going to be my ultimate d.i.y headgsket solution for even the most severe duty engine..

Ive e-mailed the concept to a few knowledgable persons and have had some good feedback.thanks guys..

I decided on copper as the previous setup using a std. gasket was a total buggerup.This is on a high boost 4 cyl engine..

I have never played with copper gasgets beore as I felt them to be a bit agricultural..Now that Ive used it,Im rather convinced as to the feasability of copper in its annealed state..

I machined reciever grooves in the sleeves for a stainless ring that is machined in an "L" shape.The pic says it all.

The "L" shaped groove protrudes through the copper gasket by 0.3mm.
This is designed so that the single groove or ridge can cut into the haed as its all torqued down.The ring is also 0.2mm thicker so it protrudes more that the Alfa sleeve protrusion spec.This is so it can clamp the copper gasket more vigiourisly..

The idea here is to have a twofold clamping effect.The first is the copper gasket being clamped in the normal fashion,ie: between the head and sleeve..Secondly,the ring or ridge that protrudes through the copper gasket and cuts into the head surface..
Attachments
Here can be seen how well the clamping is between the head and sleeve..This is the copper gasket ,sprayed with ally paint..
Here can be seen how well the clamping is between the head and sleeve..This is the copper gasket ,sprayed with ally paint..
DSC00101.JPG (148.6 KiB) Viewed 6401 times
Her the groove from the irdge can be seen
Her the groove from the irdge can be seen
DSC00100.JPG (152.42 KiB) Viewed 6403 times
Protrusion of the ring ridge...
Protrusion of the ring ridge...
DSC00096.JPG (137.11 KiB) Viewed 6403 times
The "L" shaped stainless ring..
The "L" shaped stainless ring..
DSC00106.JPG (135.9 KiB) Viewed 6404 times
Reciever grooves in the sleeves..
Reciever grooves in the sleeves..
DSC00108.JPG (153.46 KiB) Viewed 6405 times
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

If you've see or tried this then disregard.

I think the big hp drag engines here they use "O" rings around each cylinder. they go in a groove machined into the block (or sleeves in this case). I think they are made of a soft (relatively) grade of stainless.

these engines make 2000+hp with superchargers and nitromethane fuel.

Your "L" rings are a similar approach but a square or round section ring may be simpler to deal with.

just an idea,
Scott
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

I 've used a similar pincing technique in vacuum appplications, between flanges. Which is more or less standard for the real deep (<10^-6) vacuum chambers. The copper used was 99% pure and oxigen free (hard to find).
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

I went to a local steel merchant and asked for a sheet of copper 1.2mm thick.
I have no idea what the grade is..
Hamishm00
Gold
Gold

Post by Hamishm00 »

Barry wrote:I went to a local steel merchant and asked for a sheet of copper 1.2mm thick.

Bb, are they working????
Dos circos de 156 3.76L v6 cavalinhos
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Hamishm00 wrote:
Barry wrote:I went to a local steel merchant and asked for a sheet of copper 1.2mm thick.

Bb, are they working????
Like a good roll in the sack!!!!! The best yet,H..Ive already made for Bella..She is getting some as well.. 8) 8) :D
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
jol
Silver
Silver

Post by jol »

How did you continue from there? original gasket on top, draw outlines and nailfile?
The milano very sold, some day some other Alfa...
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Original as a template..
Its rather hard,so you can drill and cut..carefull though,copper tends to grab and snatch with power tools.. :?
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
jol
Silver
Silver

Post by jol »

Barry wrote:Original as a template..
Its rather hard,so you can drill and cut..carefull though,copper tends to grab and snatch with power tools.. :?
Discussed with a friend and he suggested water or laser cutting..didnt think of that. Also suggested a parts dealer from Finland, will check that one up :)
The milano very sold, some day some other Alfa...