Anything that does not fit into other topics.
saracene
Silver
Silver

gtv6 front wheel bearing help!!!

Post by saracene »

:!:
Hi, could any one guide me as how to change front wheel bearings on my 82 gtv6, and what tools are required.
thanks
82 Alfa gtv6
86 Maserati 425 liquid intercooled
92 Awd Subaru svx
91 alfa 164
Reale
Gold
Gold

Wheel bearings

Post by Reale »

Hello-
You need some metric sockets-I think 19mm for the brake caliper, and 24? for the spindle. There is a cotter pin to come out, then the nut, then the rotor/hub should just pull off. Then you need to get the inner seal out, and then press out the inner and outer races.
It is not technically challenging, just don't let the caliper hang by its hose. Pressing the races in and out can be a pain, especially if one gets cocked.
Hope that helps-
Al
Al Mitchell
Reale Motorsports
#82 E Production
Alfa Romeo GTV6
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

As Al said, it’s good to have a hydraulic press to remove the races - if you are in the States, you can get a reasonable floor mounted press for not much cash from Harbor Freight tools - in my experience, its indispensable when working on a GTV6!

Also, consider replacing the stock axle nut and cotter pin with a clamping axle nut from a Mercedes or late model (approx 1991) 75:

Check this link here:
http://www.alfagtv6.com/wheel_b.htm

This allows you to set the torque much more accurately.

Cheers,
Michael
1981 GTV6
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

All the new bearings (as far as I know) comes with the deforming nut. Way superior if you ask me as the nut needs to be very accurately torqued to get reasonable bearing life.

Also you don't need a press, a couple of punches will do the work equally fast, at least getting the stuff out. Pressing the new stuff back in is another story and a press definetly helps (but you can do it without it).
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Reale
Gold
Gold

Bearings

Post by Reale »

I agree that I press is not absolutely necessary-I am embarrassed to say that I often just use an old race that I have turned down the OD of, and a big socket-then pound the @#$% out of it with a hammer (BFH). I used to use a punch, but I accidentally buggered up the wall once-which made the remainder of the exercise a REALLY painful experience. If you don't have access to a press, save the old races, and take a few thou off the OD of them with an abrasive or whatever, so that they will slide in and out by hand. Then you can chase the new races with them.
But, for the "test question," the correct answer is "use a press."
Ha ha!

-Al
Al Mitchell
Reale Motorsports
#82 E Production
Alfa Romeo GTV6
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Indeed - once you try pressing out bearings with a hydraulic press, you will never wnat to go back to the old punch and hammer method :)
Michael
1981 GTV6
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

I think I have a few sets of the Merc pinch nuts lying around, I picked them up for next to nothing at the junkyard, so I can let them go for the same, plus shipping.