Anything that does not fit into other topics.
GarthW
Verde
Verde

My favourite Alfa from the 2-day Alfa Romeo race weekend..

Post by GarthW »

I spent the weekend flag marshalling for the Alfa Club during a 2-day race event at the Phillip Island race track, about 1.5 hrs from where i live. I was going to compete, but after a recent head rebuild, i had to pass. But flag marshalling for the first time was a great learning experience. I was at turn 4, which was a great position to see all the action.
I was able to see everything up close, see the strong and weak points of all the cars, and was simply amazed at seeing the old Alfas racing, in particular there was one which i really loved. Now i'm not sure of its exact name, model number etc, but its a 1950-1951 Tipo Alfa/Ferrari racer, well i think thats it..i have a pic of it, so maybe afew here will know exactly what it is...
I feel stupid for not asking the owner what it is, i just went up to him at the end of the race weekend and said your car is just amazing, and thankyou for bringing it to the track.

It went hard, all weekend, and i couldnt believe at just how well it went. It sounded great. I'm pretty sure it is supercharged, for when he would go around a corner, he would make sure it was straight before putting foot down, then it would just take off, also the way it sounded, but i could be wrong..

On the last day there was a gathering of all Alfas for a parade lap, but for some strange. stupid reason, a guy with a ferrari was allowed to join the parade. It was an Alfa only weekend, and i'm sorry but the guy with the ferrari should have stayed off track, whoever let him on is an idiot. Also he nearly caused an accident, just because you own a fast car, doesnt say your a good driver lol...

A total of 160 Alfas hit the track for the parade lap, from every state also, which was great.

Both days were fantastic. I drove to and from the track on both days. Enjoyed the last drive home so much i had to hit the petrol station twice...luckily no speeding tickets!! :roll:

The track near the ocean pic..that area is known as Siberia, which in winter i would not want to marshall there...hence the name-Siberia.

Early morning pic of main straight before it all happened.

My second favourite Alfa was a 155, dont have a pic, but i have a quick vid of it..but i cant really upload for the marshall next to me can be heard swearing quite loudly...it came up behind a well prepared GTV6 on a tight corner, and blew its doors off... i think its the only one here in Oz, the owner was very nice when i quizzed him about it. Was great seeing it hit boost and it was very quick.

After seeing it at the track i think i want one...

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Re: My favourite Alfa from the 2-day Alfa Romeo race weekend..

Post by SydneyJules »

Mate! No one cares about swearing! Show us the car!! What sort of 155? That Monte with the dished wheels looks awesome!
Fixing it bit by bit....
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

I think the old alfa is a P3, supercharged engine it is
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

I think the first car was the 1931/32 Alfa Romeo Tipo B (P3) owned by Peter Giddings.
It's a straight eight with twin superchargers.....
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Dr. Alban
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Bteoh-Yes your right!! Thats the guy! I was there when he signed in, and i remember that name, Giddings. Were you there at Phillip Is..?

Jules-That Montreal was just insane, it was the best sounding car of them all, and very quick. I spoke to the owner, he said it was basically standard, apart from extractors, exhaust, and he had a motec dash data logger in there, so was running ecu as well. It was around 7-8 secs a lap slower than the 155, but damn it handled and sounded amazing, and its only a 2.6 V8!! Would be a nice conversion that engine into another Alfa! :)

Thanks for the link Zamani..it must be him, as i'm sure its the only one here in Oz, he imported it from Japan i think. I sooo want one. They run a single turbo V6 dont they Z..?

Selling 1985 GTV6.

SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Drool Q4- they're a Delta Integrale engine and box - warmed over donk. I imagine with the longer wheelbase they would be a bit tamer- they are such a wonderful looking car with the stonk to match the looks.
Fixing it bit by bit....
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

wow, many awsome Alfa in one spot!
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

wow, many awsome Alfa in one spot!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

More pics , of the IGNIS gtv please !
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

That's not the only 155 in the country. Might be the only 155Q4 though.
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

Kevin,

The IGNIS GTV6 is owned by Hugh Harrison of Monza Motors in Melbourne. It's a great looking car and I think Hugh has put it back to original specs as when it was racing in the 80's. Last I heard, it was up for sale :D
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Sorry Kevin, i dont have any other pics of the Ignis gtv6, but next time i see it out, will take some snaps of it for sure.

An Integrale engine and box in a 155! Oh very nice, drool indeed.

Yeah the Ignis gtv6 is for sale. Worth quite alot actually. I think its running a 3.3 litre, not sure actually, but yeah i heard it was being put back to original specs also..

Photos could have been better, taken with phone.. :roll:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Terafrost
Gold
Gold

Post by Terafrost »

Hey Garth, did you happen to catch a silver Alfetta GT on Tasmanian 'SI' plates?

A bloke down here decided to twin charge one... 8)
Pretty stock looking (aside from some 17" Simmons FRs) so hard to recognize I guess. Based on the pics he uploaded, he was a few cars back from a red Montreal, just next to a nice black Spider. Mind you, out of a field of near 200 that probably doesn't help!

There's a thread on AlfaBB about it. Looks the goods! 60 pages strong, makes for some heavy reading.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engine- ... oject.html

I think the guy's name is Mike.
Alex

1985 GTV6
1983 GTV6 - Project
1985 ALFA 90 GCL - in many, many pieces... Anyone?
1987 ALFA 75 TwinSpark - Now running around Victoria.
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Hey terafrost, holy crap that Alfetta was insane! Cant believe i forgot to mention it!

So yeah, there i was on the Sunday getting ready to do the parade lap, when i noticed quite afew people crowding an Alfetta Gtv Coupe engine bay. I walk up, and as i peep into the bay, i see a rather large snail living in the engine bay, with an external wastegate, and its big, like i'm running a V6 and my snail is soo much smaller than this one..rear exhaust housing is massive, and i'm thinking damn, this would be laggy...but no!!

The owner says the setup is making 1bar boost at only 2200 rpm, i was about to say impossible, when he goes"Look at whats hanging on the other side of the engine bay..."and there it was, a supercharger..

A supercharged, turbocharged Alfetta. I wanted to start picking his brain, but he had other people throwing questions at him so i bailed. The quality of work on it was very good..but i only had one problem with it, the pipe work running from the intercooler on the supercharger side, has a very sharp bend and way to close to the floor, but apart from that, very nice. Was good to see another boosted Alfa and would have been nice to see it go, but it sounded nice on start up, that i remember.

Tera, were you there..? Thanks for the link about the tassie alfa, look forward to reading it!!

Hey Zamani, that was the guy with the 155 on that youtube link, i sent him a message, and yep it was him. :wink:

Selling 1985 GTV6.