Anything that does not fit into other topics.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Greg Gordon wrote:I have been hearing about this upcomming "pilot shortage" since 1988, it never happens, there has been a pilot glut in the U.S. for at least that long. The only serious pilot shortage I am aware of was in Germany in 1945.

Matt, in the U.S. cargo is currently the way to go. More money, more days off, and our companies are not going bankrupt. That's not to say we don't have our problems, we do, but it's better then flying passengers right now. It's not that we went up in pay and benifits, the others came down.

The Citation X is currently the fastest civilian plane. The old 727 is probably second fastest, although some say the old Convair 990 would out run it. Can't say I have seen one of those in flyable condition though.

The secret to the 727 combat mode is as follows: Flaps 5 deg to unlock most of the outboard ailerons travel. Speed brake 50%. At this point full control wheel deflections either direction will fully deflect the inboard ailerons and almost fully deflect the outboard ailerons, plus all flight spoilers will go up on one wing and none will move on the other. Of course this is totally against Boeing procedures because the speed brakes and flaps should not be out at the same time. However like most Boeings, they don't stop you from doing it, but instead they have it set off a warning horn. Air Bus has a different philosophy.
hhe, interesting, we get greater roll rates with the speedbrakes out too, but well, I don't think the passengers like that very much, we've had the speed brakes out with up to flaps 25, it vibrates but it was in one of those days when you are...ermm...trying to catch up time...and well you go at 270kts up to about 7-6 miles...

Quite impressive pictures on the F15, i've heard of that story but never seen any pictures..

Here are some pictures of the aircraft I fly and for the company I fly for

on this one if you look at the copilot side, that's me hehe

Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:D Hey,a Guppy or smoky Joe !!!Loved working on these.... :)
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Nice pics Fedezyl,Barry
i'm amazed at the F15 Barry, if you look at the touchdown shot you can see theres hardly any control inputs to compensate for the lost wing!!!! minimal rudder input and the wings thats still there has either the flap or aileron(not sure its an F15) fully deflected down!!! unless they have independent elevators (for manouvers) and the RH elevators deflected down to help keep the wing(s) level, which you can't see in the photo?
So was it a mid air collision? ................amazing story

I'll see if i can find photos but another mid air story WW2 of 2 bombers colliding but they ended up stuck together, crew landed the 2 joined aircraft safely :shock:
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

matt wrote:Nice pics Fedezyl,Barry
i'm amazed at the F15 Barry, if you look at the touchdown shot you can see theres hardly any control inputs to compensate for the lost wing!!!! minimal rudder input and the wings thats still there has either the flap or aileron(not sure its an F15) fully deflected down!!! unless they have independent elevators (for manouvers) and the RH elevators deflected down to help keep the wing(s) level, which you can't see in the photo?

I'll see if i can find photos but another mid air story WW2 of 2 bombers colliding but they ended up stuck together, crew landed the 2 joined aircraft safely :shock:
I remember reading somewhere that part of the total lift on an F15 was given by the body...indeed I was looking at that on the landing picture, hardly any flight controls deflection and full flaps...so Barry you were a 737 mechanic?? they are very nice indeed, but i'd really love some more automatisms in there, we still have the old SP77 autopilot..so no LNAV here...plus they are really noisy, speacially in the back...hehe part of the charm I guess!!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:D Yea,I started off on 727`s,737`s,HS 748`s,most of the 747 variants as well as a300 series..basicaly the S.A.A. fleet at the time.
The most fun was being part of the team(voluntary)that got the old Junkers 88 back up and flying..

Matt,It was something serious,Trying to get the site again...But awsome..I remember reading that the pilot reported a slight drag on the aircraft but that he felt it was totally controlable!!If you look at the attitude on landing,this whole design is truly amazing..
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

matt wrote:Nice pics Fedezyl,Barry
yup, F15 alright, collided with an A4 skyhawk during training. Pilot disobeyed bail out command to land the plane..

http://www.uss-bennington.org/phz-nowing-f15.html
"Fun is an unintended, unforeseen, and usually undignified consequence of life."
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Barry wrote::D Yea,I started off on 727`s,737`s,HS 748`s,most of the 747 variants as well as a300 series..basicaly the S.A.A. fleet at the time.
The most fun was being part of the team(voluntary)that got the old Junkers 88 back up and flying..

Matt,It was something serious,Trying to get the site again...But awsome..I remember reading that the pilot reported a slight drag on the aircraft but that he felt it was totally controlable!!If you look at the attitude on landing,this whole design is truly amazing..
:D So you restored a Ju 88?? amazing, I love all these old airplanes, I went flying a piper cub about a month ago, it was nice to approach at 50mph and never getting any higher than 500 feet...I have somewhere some pictures of a SAA 747 I think being relocated to an airport for exposition in a Museum, they landed on a runway that was barely any wider than the landing gear...amazing..
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Who such a lot to read in a short amount of time!

Barry Fed. Matt Greg will check it all out ASAP gotta get some work done....

That F-15 story is legend... apparently (then) McDonnell Douglas sent an engineer over because they couldnt believe it still flew... the israeli pilot was a student, and was "Ordered" to eject, but still flew it... Im finishing a 1/48 model of an F-15D in Israeli marking ATM.... anyway, be back on shortly... too much work!
Fixing it bit by bit....
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Just read the report Joey!

Amazing, "when i slowed down the aircraft began to spiral dive(understandably theres only one wing!!!) so i applied full power with after burner to regain wings level"!

Wish all aircraft had enough power/thrust to get away with that!!! Farrrk

Talk about being straped to a missle with enough power to do anything!

Touch down at 260Kts, that explains "minimal control input" in pic!!

:shock: ........................
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Fedezyl,

That's an early 737 (in the photo). In my hometown's runway, the pilot had to engage all brakes, put the engine to full power and once the revs are high the brakes are released. Now the 737-400 has no problems at all.

The reverse thrusters were also very interesting on the old 737s. I love to see it when the 2 halves opened up and close the rear exhaust.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

: F,I was but a part in the machine that restored the Junkers..All credit must go to the whole team,almost 100people I reckon..I was involved in the avionics and we all know how packed the Junkers is with avionics!! :D :D We did upgrade and put some modern stuff in.
The one thing they promised was that everyone who put time into the resto would go for a flieght on completeion..Im still waiting for mine... :x

SAA flew the Junkers as a sightseeing venture whereby you could purchase a ticket for a Saturday morning and go for a tour..The wheels ,or more specifically the tires were still 1930 something and deteriated very quickly,grounding it after a short period of time..
New tires were made in Spain(they also flew a few and needed tires..)and were ordered..I dont know what happened after that as I then left the airline.

I presume they were fitted as I regularly saw it flying overhead near my home..Then it dissapeared,probably sold by that American Coleman Andrews who made a profit for SAA of 300 million dollars by selling off all its assets!!! :twisted:

He`s severence package btw,was 215 million....welcome to Africa :wink: :wink: :wink:

Now all servicing and overhauls are shipped out to Lufthansa...

Had to get that all out,sorry guys..

I live within a few km of all major airports and fields here..Ill take a pic of the 747 at Rand airport ..it could land,barely..it will never take off as that runway is very short..(6000ft altitude)

As an apprentice I was very honoured to fetch and dismantle,and move by road!! the very last Trek Airways Super constellation (super connie) in S.A. This is one big mf.....

At the SAAF museum we have some brilliant aircraft in flying and non flying condition...Ill dig up some pic`s...

This is a great thread...better than old Alfas*machine gun fire here....* :wink: :wink:
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Zamani wrote:Fedezyl,

That's an early 737 (in the photo). In my hometown's runway, the pilot had to engage all brakes, put the engine to full power and once the revs are high the brakes are released. Now the 737-400 has no problems at all.

The reverse thrusters were also very interesting on the old 737s. I love to see it when the 2 halves opened up and close the rear exhaust.
Heheh, yeah, the reverse thrust is very very efective on the 737 originals, it has a bit of a problem with slow acceleration until the bleed valves open, but you can cure that with max autobrake until the engines spool up, it has a very very good short field landing capability, never really tried it though, but i've landed on a 1600m runway with 1/4 left to spare, very noble airplane..

yep Barry, the airline world from the inside is a bit less glamourous...seems like every airline has it's story behind people making a lot of profit or just stealing money...why did you leave S.A.A.??
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Barry theres a super connie still airworthy here in Oz i think its based in Woloongong (great ozzie town name?) they saved it from the "bone yards" in the us
http://www.hars.org.au/fleet/constellation/index.html
Speaking of SAA i remember seeing a SAA 747 doing low passes over the rugby world cup or tri nations final in cape town in the '90s. Wish i was there for that game, imaging the build up to the game anyway then there's a 747 screaming past low and fast over head before kick off.......awsome! and the noise!!!!!
The Australian War Memorial has a great selection of aircraft on display, i was only there a few weeks ago, i was surprised they even had 2 german aircraft from WW2 i though must be extremely rare, can't remember the specific names of them but one was the first jet powered fighter and the other was a rockect powered fighter(this had an undercarrige that dropped away after lift off and the rockect only lasted a few minutes but its was fastest fighter in the world at the time,.........well thats till the rocket ranout and you had to glide back down and land without try to get shot down...................
Attachments
P3120025.JPG
P3120025.JPG (26.44 KiB) Viewed 8793 times
P3120026.JPG
P3120026.JPG (18.7 KiB) Viewed 8793 times
P3120024.JPG
P3120024.JPG (14.73 KiB) Viewed 8793 times
P3120027.JPG
P3120027.JPG (16.21 KiB) Viewed 8793 times
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

NICE !!!

me262 Schwalbe or "swallow" is the jet fighter hitler wanted to be a bomber (WTF?)

me163 Komet (self-explainatory name) is the single use rocket sled. hehe
"Fun is an unintended, unforeseen, and usually undignified consequence of life."
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

This is great!!
We have an me262 with that early(cannot remember now)radar unit attached..Looked like a Chinese tv antennae..It was called..........mmmmm....

Good one on the Connie in Ozz..Must be awsome seeing it fly and the engine noise!!!
:D