Anything that does not fit into other topics.
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Does Anyone still Love driving their GTV6 ?

Post by Fernando »

Man alive,but the forum seems dead!

After nearly contemplating slitting my wrists watching my rugby team produce the crappest performance ever in the Super 14 I needed to take a drive... :evil:

Hooked up with a new Audi TT,the turbo one,and a Nissan 350Z. :D Both guys wanted to 'play' so off we went.Luckily there was very little in the way of traffic so it was all pretty safe and shouldn't have gotten the PC and Eco bunny brigade frothing at the mouth. :lol:

We started off procedings in 4th gear with the results being GTV6 1st and pulling away,followed by the TT and the Nissan about a car length behind the Audi.Change at 7000rpms from 4th to 5th and then the Alfa starts pulling more than 10 car lengths at the very least. :shock: I then backed right off to allow the Audi to close the gap....I pulled into the left lane and slowed down to 3500rpms in 4th gear and watched him come up from behind at a rate of knots.As soon as he was about two car lengths behind me I buried the throttle pedal.He then closed to within a car length,then the gap settled and before I hit 7000rpms in 4th I was once again pulling away from him.Into 5th it was then the same story I would just open up lengths until I bounced into the rev limiter in 5th. :D Then at onse stage I was flat out and the gap seemed to settle for the next few kms with the Audi but the Nissan still behind the TT,which surprised me I must admit.

When then called it quits when approaching a large chunk of traffic and gave each other the thumbs up with massive smiles from both the other drivers.Man did I feel a whole lot better. :D

But when once again crawling along at 120km/h I just wondered how many other GTV6 drivers get to enjoy there cars in this manner.I mean I just drove on any road thereafter just to revel in the sound and all round feedback that makes me love Alfa's so passionatly.I was almost upset that I had to go home and stop driving. :cry:

So do you guy's still feel like a little kid before Christmas driving your Alfa's ?
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

Can't do that here any more :( Racetrack is my outlet for fast driving now, but of course, that's about cornering speed rather that outright speed.

Still is fun to drive V6 on the road. Burned off a Honda VTEC-thing(?) away from the tollbooths on Thursday :evil: just a sharp burst of acceleration in 1st and 2nd, but it was safe and fun and elicited a 'W.T.F.' look on the face of the backwardcapbaggypantswearingskateboardfiend in the Honda, which was priceless. :D
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I love driving the GTV6. Mine is getting an extreem engine overhaul at the moment so I am anxious to get it back on the road.

This forum is a little slow these days, there are a lot more people over at the alfabb. However this is the more technically oriented board. The Alfabb has a lot of b.s. discussions about 140mph STOCK spiders, various brands of shoes and watches, but most of the serious and meaningfull stuff is here.

Greg
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Amen...

The Spider forum (alfabb) is 99% static and 0.5% content.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Indeed :lol:
I miss driving mine a lot - its been 12 months now or more since I started the engine project. Your description of a drag race in SA brought back good memories - used to do this with my buds around PTA very frequently. Its a tribute to Alfetta handling and brakes that I made it out alive.
Michael
1981 GTV6
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Well,F...What do we say here...Fernando came round a week or so ago for another cam belt..YES,another one !! Not the same symptoms as the last but I digress..Sooo,under the lure of "testing" the new belt :wink: :wink: I had the car for a few days..

F,The 360 deg roundabout I told you about ??

On my way home I negotiate a 360 deg roundabout which does not have much more than a 100m radius..Coming into it I had flashbacks of my 20l turbo where I could hang its ass out at a prod of the accelerator..
And so it was done with Fernando's car,effortless and totally controlled...

F,we must do a video and post...and yes,I had F`s blessing here..
I still love my old Alfa`s !! :!: :!:
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

i drive mine like i stole it..PERIOD

last year i was up in tacoma WA and i live here in portland OR..its a 4+ hour drive at 70....
the trip home i got passed by a GTI and i was doing 80..and thinking hmm this looks like someone to atleast keep up with to make the trip home more fun...soon as i downed into 4th and hammered it along comes a BMW...got up to around 110+(i realy wasnt watching the speedo just keeping up and enjoying) and hanging onto these guys nicely...no traffic to be seen on a sunday afternoon...not long into this another car add's into our street race caravan on the freeway....that trip home i made it home in just under 2 hours...FUN was an understatement..

last summer i exploded the diff of the stock transaxle enjoying mountain roads

about a month ago i got a "fresh" TS box with a VERY tight LSd..lets just say im re-learning how to drive the car and keep finding myself sideways DAILY!!! and loveing every minuet of it......today was DRY and warm..nice to FINALY be abe to HARD shift that TS box for the first time...lots of tire smoke lots of rubber and some slideing sideways on the open road!!!

i love my gtv6 and am very glad it fell into my lap.....my wife loves it too....only way i will part with it is "IF" the lloyd/milano project turns out as good or better than the gtv6 like i expect it to
Steven65
Silver
Silver

Post by Steven65 »

I just took my 3.0 GTV for a loverly Sunday ride around Cape Town today.
I started in Seapoint and drove through to Constantia, over the neck to Hout Bay and along the coast through Camps Bay, Clifton and home.(apologies to the non South Africans but trust me it is a wonderful drive with stunning scenery) A great drive in a car that everyone still looks at and points to! Although the car makes only about 125Kw it still manages to scare the odd boy racer and today I had a little dice with a R32 Golf.He was surprised that after 100km/h he was having to work to get away.
I have found the original test in CAR magazine of the 3.0GTV circa 1984 and I'll scan it and post it when I have a chance. :)
Steven

PS It may interest the SA members that according to CAR in 1984 the most expensive car for sale in SA was the Ferrari 512BB at a whopping 125K!!
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

My faith has been restored... :lol: was getting a little worried we were turning into another MG type club more concerned about spit and polish and zippo about real driving. :twisted:

Michael I too go on my hands and knees and thank the designers of the Alfetta GTV for designing a car that saved my naieve young ass on numerous occassions years ago.... :shock:

Jason,I take my hat off to you poor Aussie blokes and your incredibly strict speed law enforcement.I can recall reading ,with growing frustration, EVO magazines roadtrip future a few years ago in the then new Holden Lumina to Bathurst....I felt like slitting my wrists for you poor blokes.I would go insane on a long road journey over there. :lol:

Steven I remember that CAR magazine cover as being one of the most amazing photo's of the GTV6 3 litre. :D To think a R32 Volksie now costs close on R400 000...
don hodgdon
Silver
Silver

Post by don hodgdon »

It needs head gaskets and the starter only works about 1/4 of the time, but yes, I drive it every chance I get. :D
don
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I enjoy mine on a daily basis.....of course I'll have more to enjoy when the 3.0 is done(took the heads in for a valve job today).

Scott
lucass81
Gold
Gold

Post by lucass81 »

Love to hear that a 350Z and a TT got killed by a GTV6. My GTV6 needs new brakes, suspension and motor and since the economic situation here is very bad I have no money to spend on it. Anyway I still enjoy driving it, still sounds better than any car ever made and looks exotic and sexy. As years pass by it becomes more and more a head turner. Most of my friends prefer riding on the red GTV6 than my father`s white 96 M3 EVO.
GTV6s are like a great looking girlfriend that has a difficult personality to live with but is so good in bed that you cant brake up with her.
84 GTV6
96 M3
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

the more they age the more exotic they look and the more attention they get......i said it once befor..there a poor mans ferarri

pretty tame clip...i did this for a freind of mine who moved to the east coast and misses being here...yes i enjoy my gtv6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWSpVjQ_9YI
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

I should title this GTV6 vs Audi TT (2 litre turbo version) Part two... :lol:

I shall refrain from mentioning which highway but yesterday afternoon I as I climbed onto the highway I was joined by a brand new TT,who upon seeing me just buried his throttle...I was already in third and nailed it,but then backed off to ask my girlfriend if she would mind me having a bit of fun.Her reply to me was nail his ass. :lol:

Guy's before I even hit 7000rpms in third I drew level with him,changed to fourth and opened up about two car lengths or so.I then had to back right off as I saw a car in the right hand lane up ahead and I aint fond of involving other road users in an impromptu 'race'.Anyway the Audi driver and his wife/girlfriend decided to cross right over to the left lane to pass me and the other car.Anyways the other motorist pulled into the middle lane and the way was clear for me to hook fourth gear and nail it with the Audi now about two car lengths ahead of me after getting the jump on me.In fourth I closed the gap to the TT and then pulled about two car lengths before hitting 7000rpms in fourth and changing into 5th. :D In 5th is where the 3.6 hands out a hiding of note to the turbocharged TT.In this gear I open up more then 10 car lengths on him. :shock:

What also never fails to surprise me is how quickly this car smacks into it's 7000rpm rev limiter in 5th gear.Anyway then I just back right off and change to the middle lane and allow Mr TT to catch up,this time no thumbs up just a smile and a long stare,probarly trying to figure out how on earth an old GTV just gave his new TT such a smack... :twisted:
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

your GF sounds like my wife she would have said the same thing to me LOL

a 3.6 eh...hmm sounds like fun..and expensive as hell