Anything that does not fit into other topics.
kevin
Verde
Verde

164 heater unit - Best way to remove it ?

Post by kevin »

Of the three 164's i have, all the heater radiators have burst. Its quite a common problem but I have allways bypassed the water pipes as its a huge mission to change the heater. Now I have a new replacement unit Im not sure which is best way to get in there. Can anyone point me in right direction .
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Re: 164 heater unit - Best way to remove it ?

Post by Typhoon90 »

I remember when I was into Jaguars, the heater core was a huge pain to remove as well. The heater core had a long right angle pipe as part of the assembly that required removal of the entire dash.
The easy solution was cutting the right angle pipe off just past the bend with an air hacksaw or similar then fitting a short piece of hose to join core and the pipe. I've also seen problem heater cores removed on other cars by cutting the side of the heater box out around the core, removing and reinstalling with a simple plate fashioned to hold the core in once it is back in. It helps if you can look at a complete heater unit out of the car, so you can study access points in the side of the case before you cut.
I'd pull enough interior out to get access to the sides of the heater unit and see what's what. If you think about a problem long enough, there's always at least two ways to do it.

Regards, Andrew.