Anything that does not fit into other topics.
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Re: QLD Floods

Post by la_strega_nera »

Kev - the RSPCA people have been flat out and the amount of support they've been getting from people is amazing - the big RSPCA shelter has been hit by the flooding but they got all the animals out - one of the guys I know through another forum's g/f looks after that shelter and went completely under water to get some doves out - the last couple of critters in the place. A call went out over twitter/facebook and there was more people than animals. The loss of horses/pets/livestock/wildlife through the Lockyer valley is massive - complete horse studs wiped out for example...

I'm sure the Animal rescue people appreciate the donation :)
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Just heard an ABC radio broadcast asking volunteers not to go to certain designated volunteering sites as all the cars they are using are choking the roads wanted to be used by volunteers already registered to start work !!
Another words organisers are being overwhelmed by volunteers!
A no questions asked readiness to help a fellow man.
Now that's what makes this country great.

Onya True Blue.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

Typhoon90 wrote:
GTV27 wrote:Its easy to be tossing around 'shouldas' and 'couldas' at this stage, and there are plenty of things to blame govts for, but the State and Local Governments have responded very well to this situation.

While plenty of individuals didn't take it seriously until too late, plenty did and have minimised the damage. Moving the contents of your house out with 24 hours is not however easy for many people without the ability or means to procure it. Neither is relocating significant items of public infrastructure when limited resources need to be put to other more pressing tasks.

The media is focussing on what went wrong and provides sensational tv - no surprise there. Its a massive natural disaster - even with a weeks notice, many things could not have been prevented.

So how about less smartarse comments from afar?
My comments are valid. I grew up on a river that floods way more than once every 34 years. Did you read my post at all? I've been there and done that. I've tied lawn furniture to house piers, moved furniture etc.
So, how about a little more listening to those that have experienced it, and more than once in the past? All I hear is people who lived in Brisbane and were completely unaffected, and have never been through a flood before. So, what's that about armchair experts and smartarse comments from afar? .......
It's a strange attitude, someone attacks someone else on a forum, and when they defend themselves, they are the problem? :?

Would be bigger of you to just admit that you posted before thinking, but keep digging that hole you're in deeper and deeper.
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Just got back from helping clean some random strangers house in Rosalie - hoardes of volunteers out there, most of the work being done is the volunteers - almost all the residents are non functioning from shock - just trying to salvage what they can of their stuff that's been underwater. The people organising the volunteers are kinda overloaded - seems more effective to just head to one of the hard hit areas and walk up to a house and help. There was a radio annoucment regarding heavy traffic on a couple of the main roads into some of the hard hit areas - the roads were packed with people heading in to help.

The place we were cleaning was a 2 story stilt house referred to as a Queenslander - garage/storage area downstairs, upstairs the living area - flooded level was easy 5'6" high inside - mud/silt everywhere. That house had been built in the 40's or 50's, and been flooded in the 74 floods - the timber v-groove walls were warped, ditto the floorboards - but it had all got wet in 74 aswell, so it will come good again I guess. The houses with Gyprock and timber studf walls are fucked. No option but to chop out the affected gyprock to let the framework dry.
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Good luck to all those effected by this disaster. As far as I can tell you guys are handling this a lot better than the New Orleans folks did.

Greg
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I must say it's one thing I really did notice in Australia that everyone jumps in to help there neighbor. When I house sat in Sydney one year we had such a bad storm that a tree fell onto my garage and across drive. Within moments everyone was helping out. You would never see that in SA anymore as we have become so obsessed about high crime and don't even open the door if you hear a commotion going on outside. It's a great pity but I'm glad you guys are digging to help out. Trust me if my road was flooding here in SA I would be standing guard not helping, because sure as he'll there would be someone stealing my tv or murdering the family.
You guys have a great country no need to get to upset with each other. You could be standing guard right now.