Anything that does not fit into other topics.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

V6 fight

Post by Zamani »

Dr. Alban
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: V6 fight

Post by MD »

Interesting from a certain perspective.

Kevin,

I don't know about your circuits but watching this clip sort of identifies the problem of global differences to race tracks and car set ups. What I mean is that we are forever sharing set up information but half the time, at least for the suspension set ups, it's likely to be wrong.

The reason I say this is that this track typifies the differences between smooth, flat (or almost flat) European and US circuits compared to say 2 out of 3 local circuits in my area which are full of rise, fall, pitch, camber and naturally corner radii changes. So when you are having a fast down hill run into a dip and the sharp corner is in the middle of the dip, it's nothing like negotiating a straight approach and exit corner.

An extreme example of this is not a track I use but may well be better known globally and that is "Bathurst". I have yet to see a track like it on You tube.

So we should all take some caution in applying what we learn here with a degree of anticipated necessity to develop for our own track types and surfaces.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

Not Alfa related but topical to this thread: a clip from the 2011 Sebring race.

Sebring is known as a bumpy track. Look how the Porsche 911 totally loses front grip in the bumps, collides with the Corvette which ultimately takes the Ferrari out of the race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3AzRjL1Db0

I think the combination of a stiff racing suspension and the weight in the rear of the 911 makes the car porpoise and loose control.

Would we all agree that the 911's suspension was not properly set up for this track?
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I tend to agree Maldi

Here is an example of the track differences I am talking about. This is Bathurst. Pay attention to the concrete side rails which give a pointer of the rise and fall as well as the corner shapes. Basically is a race of who can get to the top of the "mountain" and down again the fastest. The track areas are so diverse that it can be dry at the bottom and wet at the top !

BTW I am surprised at the pace of the Austin Healey..

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... hurst&aq=f
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

MALDI wrote:Not Alfa related but topical to this thread: a clip from the 2011 Sebring race.

Sebring is known as a bumpy track. Look how the Porsche 911 totally loses front grip in the bumps, collides with the Corvette which ultimately takes the Ferrari out of the race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3AzRjL1Db0

I think the combination of a stiff racing suspension and the weight in the rear of the 911 makes the car porpoise and loose control.

Would we all agree that the 911's suspension was not properly set up for this track?
No, I'd say it is the driver that failed to consider that the bumps were there. This can not come as a suprise to him or he has not done the testing right. He is also WAY inside the yellow line (i.e. off the track) which can explain the extra bumpiness.
The Magnussen Corvette holds a tight line but there is room to drive the track until he starts skipping.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

Yes Patrick Long should have known better. You can see from the video that all the cars bounce through there meaning you cannot take a tight line at all.

RE: Bathhurst. A track I'd love to drive someday. It's hill climb nature reminds me of Circuit du Mas du Clos in France, another track I'd like to drive.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Md we have three totally different circuits in character but because we have seven out of eleven races at swartkops ,so we all set up for that track and then just struggle with ratios at kyalami and with the bumpy circuit at midvaal. Thats what we do at budget level however if i had a gearbox i could rely on and not always work on i would take a few sets of springs with me to the other circuits as i would have time to play around. My quickfix at the track is play with rear ride height.
Last edited by kevin on Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Budgets are the problem as you say cause with changing spring rates , you need to adjust damper rates too. We all know this stuff is around but I am not selling my left family jewel so I can tool up for it !! :mrgreen: