Anything that does not fit into other topics.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Where to go in Italy?

Post by MR2 Zig »

We (my family and I) are in Venice and are looking for Alfa spots to go see. Any ideas?

We plan on going to Millan, maybe Florence, then around the Alps to Paris, then on to London. We will have a rental car and the schedule is open....So we are open to Ideas!

Thanks for the help,

Scott
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Re: Where to go in Italy?

Post by MR2 Zig »

I understand that the one place I REALLY wanted to go, the Alfa museum in Arese, is closed. We may still go by there just to be sure.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Scott , I went to Italy last year February for holiday ( Rome, florence, ,Milan , Monte Bianco ( french border) . My main aim which my wife was not aware of was to go to the Alfa museum which I did and it was CLOSED . This happened two weeks before I got there and remains that way .
So I settled for a second option and went to the Ferrari factory and museum . I also had lunch next to the test track at schumi old hang out . It was great to see and feel where it all happens but I was still hugely disappointed as even though the Ferrari museum is great with a lot of engine on display ( cross sections of engines) it was nothing compared to the pics I have seen of the alfa museo.
There are quite a few private collections which you can book for starting near Venice which our club guys went on . I don't have these offhand .
The Ferrari shop there is far cheaper and also had great specials on compared to uk .
I could not leave Italy without at least visiting a famous factory . A great second best .
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Thank you Kevin! That is on the way (generally speaking), so there we will go!

My other spot so far was to go to the Aprilia factory, but they are not customer friendly there as I understand it.

Thanks again,

Scott
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I went to the Ferrari Museo in Maranello. Rented a 458Italia for 15minutes (at a cost of 100Euro).

I liked the museum and gained a bit of respect for the brand even though their products are priced a wee bit over my paygrade.

That 458 Italia is SERIOUSLY quick. Going up an onramp I think i got it up around 200k and back down to merge speed.... :D :D :D :D went thru 3 gears . My motorcycle is not that quick. Ride was firm, but not uncomfortable. Steering feel left a little to be desired as it was power assisted (kind of necessary at in town speeds). Steering wasn't twichy or overly light at speed, but a little numb compared to the manual steering in our Alfas.

Just for my birthday Ferrari opened a new museum, Casa Enzo Ferrari in Modena. They had 7-8 Alfas from before the War on display. They also had several post war Maseratis and Ferraris on display.

I took pics ,but it will be a bit before I get them put up.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Terafrost
Gold
Gold

Post by Terafrost »

It's far from Alfa talk, but ...

If you're staying in Milano for any length of time, head to the canal district and look for a restaurant by the name of Al Pont de Ferr - all the local cab drivers know the place. By far the most amazing culinary experience I've had the benefit of enjoyin and not stupidly priced, either. Be wary of the business district. The restaurants around there will really take you for a ride - that said, if you've been to Venice, you know how cheeky they can be!

Seriously though - you won't regret it;
Al Pont De Ferr
Ripa di Porta Ticinese, 55, 20143 Milano, Italy
+39 02 8940 6277

The usual tourist spots call, of course - Il Duomo (BIIIIG Cathedral - backs onto Il Galleria, a very famous piece of architecture), the 'Last Supper' tour (Da Vinci, naturally...). They are both definitely worth a look if you have time & the former can be found without booking a tour, too (as can the latter, but its hard to get tickets).

I was fortunate enough to see the museum a few months before it closed. There's a lot of history in that place - from the first car Alfa ever made to the original clay model of the 8C. Pretty decent example of their racing history, too - the 164 Procar, LeMans cars, Formula cars (all conveniently behind glass!), prototypes...
I've got a fair few photos if anyone is interested.

Best Alfa moment in my travels - I can still see the stupid grin on the old chap's face as he started up his Giulietta Spider outside the Colosseum and drove off into a Roman sunset - Leather cap, goggles, gloves & all :D

I'll shut up now!

Ciao.
Alex

1985 GTV6
1983 GTV6 - Project
1985 ALFA 90 GCL - in many, many pieces... Anyone?
1987 ALFA 75 TwinSpark - Now running around Victoria.