Anything that does not fit into other topics.
MD
Verde
Verde

One for all you pilots

Post by MD »

Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Re: One for all you pilots

Post by Greg Gordon »

Damn, not many things scare me, but that did. Was that an actual published approach? I seriously doubt it, looks like someone invented their own GPS approach. Pretty common back in my Alaska bush pilot days, but I won't be doing that anymore.

Greg
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Yeah, I was thinking exactly that same thing Greg, even though you have super precise ground mapping nowadays with modern GA glass cockpits, you still don't have the required ground clearance that a proper instrument approach gives you.
We do see these kinds of things a lot here in Indonesia, where they fly with Caravans, mountainous terrain and tropical weather...
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Obviously this pilot has all this worked out, but looking at the terrain, I am sure he didn't have any type of US or ICAO terrain clearances, either this is a very specific approved operator type approach (unlikely) or this guy mapped this out himself. Like you mentioned that's common in certain parts of the world.

Greg
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Wow, that is scary!!!! Imagine if the cloud cover is so thick that after 1 minute of descent you are still in it, and you are thinking to yourself, where is the next set of mountains......

BTW Fed, if there exists a flight from Medan to Ipoh, you can get lots of Alfa parts there. They have a big Alfa wrecking yard there called AR Ricambi. They get stuff from Japan, but still have some 1/2 cut 75s. 2 Glenwood cars are there, and a few 116 GTV6 3.0 and 116 GTV6 24V .