Anything that does not fit into other topics.
Crackership
Silver
Silver

Testing waters, weighing options. Maybe selling my GTV6?

Post by Crackership »

Hi all,

So, I've had my GTV6 for years, and I've loved it, bought it nice things, etc.. And then about 3 years ago, it started to burn oil really bad and my job at the time really didn't allow me much time to work on it, so I put it into storage. Then, about a year ago, I got it out of storage with the intent of pulling the engine and really going through it but, before I got to it, my buddy asked to borrow it since his GTV6 had just burned up it's ECU and he was without a car. I figured it would be safe in the hands of a fellow GTV6 owner. Well, while he was driving it (and I really think he's in no way at fault) the timing belt skipped a tooth or five and all of the pistons and valves got together, one of the valves broke off and banged around a bunch.. basically completely wrecked the engine. Anyway, that really took the wind out of my sails, so I put it back in storage. I've found another engine for it, but I really can't seem to find the motivation or make the time to get after putting it in. So, I guess I'm wondering what it might be worth as-is.

The details - Black on black cloth, no sunroof 1985 GTV6

It's got pretty much the whole boat of Ron Simmons Racing suspension on it with very few miles. Coil overs, front sway bar w/ rose joint drop links and watts-link. It has a Shankle rear sway bar and Performatek drop links with poly bushings in the rear. Performatek and Powerflex poly bushings at the DeDion, and upper control arm, the caster rod ball joint mod, and recently replaced lower control arm bushings and ball joints.

It also has a set of Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 15x7 wheels in matte black on it.

Stainless steel brake lines, Ferodo Ds2500 pads,

Sparco Fighter bucket seat in driver's seat, I have the stock seat too.

MOMO steering wheel adapter and OMP spacer. I have a couple MOMO and OMP wheels the buyer could choose from.

I have a complete Milano 2.5 that is ready to go in, and all the necessary parts to make it happen also, I've got the Glenwood headers and cams as well as a Shankle heel and toe kit from the engine that died that could be swapped over and it has a GoTech ECU installed with harness.

The body is probably a 6.7-7 out of 10, no significant rust, but there are a couple of small dents, and one pretty good sized one on the header panel (above the grille)

The interior is kinda rough. the rear deck (trunk cover?) is pretty shot, but I have a good used one to throw in. The dash is cracked, and the upholstery is faded, and the windows and door handles have become finicky from sitting. Also the P.O. cut holes in the door panels for speakers :(

Here's a couple pics from just before the engine blew up:

Let me know what you think it's worth

Oh, almost forgot, it's also got a Milano Platinum transaxle in it, so 4:10, LSD

Thanks!
-Dave
Crackership
Silver
Silver

Re: Testing waters, weighing options. Maybe selling my GTV6?

Post by Crackership »

No one's willing to take a stab at it?
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Since you're not saying anything about where you live I'm guessing the US? :wall:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

$5000 as is

Most of what you mention in terms of seats, steering wheel, brake pads, brake lines have little bearing on the car's value because they are easily and inexpensively sourced, or, as in the case of the wheels, are really a matter of taste more than performance.

The Ron Simons suspension set up is a plus because it is well regarded and expensive. The Performatek stuff is relatively inexpensive. I am not sure about the cost of the Glenwood headers. Are they pricey? The Platinum LSD transmission is nice but not a 'must have' for cars with stock horsepower.

I believe the items that matter in order of importance are:

1) The body: what is the true rust situation? Superficial or in need of major surgery? Also, is the body bent due to an accident? Could be very expensive to repair.
2) Is the transmission good or will it need new synchros soon? Will it need new dog rings (due to years of driving with worn synchros)? Perhaps even new gears. Transmission cannot be tested without a working engine.
3) The good engine, if included in the price, still needs installation which would run $1000 at an independent Alfa mechanic.

I am not asking for answers to these questions. I am just pointing out that the need for body, transmission, or engine work costing > $1000 (per item) is what determines the value of the car.

With engine installed, a known-good transmission, and body rust of no consequence, then $7500.

[Disclaimer: This is a free opinion from some guy on the interwebs so take it for what it is worth!]
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
Crackership
Silver
Silver

Post by Crackership »

Mats wrote:Since you're not saying anything about where you live I'm guessing the US? :wall:

Yes, you're right, I forgot to mention where I live. I am in the US. Washington State, specifically. Thanks for pointing that out :)
Crackership
Silver
Silver

Post by Crackership »

MALDI wrote:$5000 as is

Most of what you mention in terms of seats, steering wheel, brake pads, brake lines have little bearing on the car's value because they are easily and inexpensively sourced, or, as in the case of the wheels, are really a matter of taste more than performance.

The Ron Simons suspension set up is a plus because it is well regarded and expensive. The Performatek stuff is relatively inexpensive. I am not sure about the cost of the Glenwood headers. Are they pricey? The Platinum LSD transmission is nice but not a 'must have' for cars with stock horsepower.

I believe the items that matter in order of importance are:

1) The body: what is the true rust situation? Superficial or in need of major surgery? Also, is the body bent due to an accident? Could be very expensive to repair.
2) Is the transmission good or will it need new synchros soon? Will it need new dog rings (due to years of driving with worn synchros)? Perhaps even new gears. Transmission cannot be tested without a working engine.
3) The good engine, if included in the price, still needs installation which would run $1000 at an independent Alfa mechanic.

I am not asking for answers to these questions. I am just pointing out that the need for body, transmission, or engine work costing > $1000 (per item) is what determines the value of the car.

With engine installed, a known-good transmission, and body rust of no consequence, then $7500.

[Disclaimer: This is a free opinion from some guy on the interwebs so take it for what it is worth!]
Thanks for your opinion! That's what I posted looking for. I'm acutely aware of the fact that things seem like they're worth more when you own them, and I was hoping to see if my thoughts on it were in line with those of others, or if I was way off-base. Based on your opinion alone, I don't think my thoughts on it's value are too distorted. Thanks again!

Anyone else?