Anything that does not fit into other topics.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Random Engine Torque Measuring Ideas............

Post by Duk »

While pondering the purpose of the universe (maybe), a random idea lodged itself inside my noodle.................
With the amount of give in 3 rubber couplings, could it be possible to monitor the torque induced difference between the engine's output and the clutch housing's input to give a meaningful torque number at any given time???

My theory would go along the lines of watching the output of the distributor (so nice and even pulses, not the 60-2 CAS) and have the same number of trigger edges aranged on the clutch's input shaft.
Both sets of trigger edges would be aligned so that they trigger at the exact same time (or near enough). And as the engine generates more torque, the rubber couplings would distort more and more, putting the alignment of the engine's trigger and the clutch's input shaft trigger out. The increase in disparity would show an increase in torque.
Now the fun part................
Turning that into useful information :shock: .
The only/best idea I can come up with, would be to feed the 2 trigger signals into a micro controller like an Arduino and have it output an analogue 0-5 volt signal, where higher voltage equals more misalignment, which means the engine is dishing out more torque. Fead that 0-5 volt signal to a data logger to log against other info (RPM, MAP sensor, TPS and O2).
Bingo! Real world dyno! :D

Idea number 2 I came up with years ago and is basically 2 versions of the same idea.
2a involves replacing the right hand side engine mount with a load cell. As engine torque increases, it leans harder on the right hand engine mount. Amplify load cell signal to give 0-5 volts, feed to data logger. BAM! Real world dyno! :wink:

2b is similar and I figured more realistic.
Replace right hand side engine mount with a small hydraulic cylinder. Fill with oil and seal, tee a pressure sensor into it that gives a 0-5 volt output! Yeah yeah! Real world dyno! 8)
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: Random Engine Torque Measuring Ideas............

Post by Jim K »

I know you are the inquisitive type and I find it hard to believe you haven't checked these out:
http://www.land-and-sea.com/rotary-shaf ... t-dyno.htm
http://www.aemelectronics.com/files/pr/ ... ft_PR.html
http://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-r ... -help.html
I didn't dig into details -or cost- but I'm sure some form of the above can be permanently mounted on the driveshaft (or halfshaft?) if one wishes so, somehow coupling it with a donut or U-joint.
The subject reminds me of the time I was thinking of buying a Kistler sparkplug-pressure transducer, to map the engine myself: http://www.kistler.com/gr/en/applicatio ... sor-611x_b
Its nice to think of possible new applications from time to time... give our half-senile brains something to work on for a while until the fuse pops again, heheh! :) :mrgreen:
Jim K.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Yeah, the load cell equipped tailshaft is probably the best, but the pure cost of them.................... :shock:
Motec supply them for the V8 Supercars to help keep the parity of all of the different engines.

Any load measuring engine mount would only be in place for testing purposes.

My main thinking behind such ideas is purely to (obviously) get some torque based feedback, but doing so in real world airflow conditions.
If such an approach did work, I'd be thinking it'd be particularly handy at doing part throttle ignition timing tuning.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

You got a genius (no joke) down there known as 'Festy' (Josh) who I'm sure would be able to come up with a practical solution if intrigued enough! 8)
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

We use load cell equipped halfshafts, works most of the time but you need some electronics to measure and collect the data.
The actual load cell you can attach yourself and the calibration is not that difficult.
There are a few systems and they have prod and cons, the wireless ones are, well, wireless but then you need to change batteries once in a while which is maybe not too easy (because the battery needs to be on the shaft itself) and the one with wires needs a big fat coaxial wire routed through the car and a sliding ring transfer thingy.

Very accurate but way too much for just getting some torque readings in a hobby car.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Very accurate but way too much for just getting some torque readings in a hobby car.

Very sound and reasonable statement Mats but when you are dealing with dedicated car nuts.... nothing is reasonable or unjustifiable! By nature, most hobbies are unreasonably costly, like some dumb Greek guy thinking of buying -or building- their own flowbench... Talk of nuts! Its probably because of the very recent heatwave I guess and hope it'll wear off :wall:
Jim K.
Last edited by Jim K on Wed May 06, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Well it's either that or blonde babes and booze, obvious choice innit? :roll: But MD would have been much wiser and chosen the latter :lol:
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Yeah, if he knew what to do with 'em! :D :oops: :mrgreen:
Jim K.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Jim K wrote:like some dumb Greek guy thinking of buying -or building- their own flowbench... Talk of nuts!
If you take something serious and want to know what you are doing, you need to measure, compare and learn, nothing nuts about that.

Just doing something and hope your lucky, thats nuts :lol:

(Vizard, did also start with a hobby budget bench) So... 8)
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

The only reason I have not bought/built one so far is that my flowbench guy is also a good friend and about 10 minutes away, so things are not so difficult. Probably tomorrow, I will measure the two differently ported 24v heads and create more uncertainty! :roll:
Jim K.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Flow benches, hot wenches, this port ,that claret who cares! I am too busy injecting some new neddies into the track taxi-the Orange Cab. I haven't go time to piss around talking to a bunch a greek loosers..that's greek with a small "g" ( I have heard it's actually more like tiny).

As for the rest of you lounge lizards plucking fluff outaya navels, get a job !
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I got one, three payed days on track so far, this week... 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Well done Mats.

The Greekster got lucky as well. He got a hand job this week... :wall:
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

MD,

Are neddies similar to Shetland ponies?

Jk,

Do you also measure velocity or just flow? Velocity sounds pretty complex.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Zeefa,

Nedies in Oz is usually just a reference to horses but implying horse power.

I should know in about a week or so whether we have Shetland or Clydesdale in the brew.

The Duk is going to have us all wearing straight jackets for screwing up hi topic soon..ah what the hell, keeps the Forum cookin'..

..but to turn it around a tiny bit, personally I am not that interested in horspower. I am much more interested in torque. It gets on with the business.