tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Stoped

Post by tImBoWe »

Out for a good old hard spot of driving the other night, just as I was heading back to town, rounded a sharp corner and the engine droped a cylinder. (no clatters or clanging/banging) then another. Then no go at all!
Got a tow home, checked fuel, and spark. All good. Checked all fuses and electricall conections. They seem ok too.
Thinking now it may have slipped a tooth on the cam belt..? What should the compressions be on a new engine with total seals and 800 kms on it?

Is it possible to slip a tooth and not have valve destruction? I,m hoping.
Jose I
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose I »

I think one tooth will not shut your car down in that manner, It might run rough but it should still run,I thinl you might have slipped several teeth.
and yes it is possible to slip cam teeth with no bent valves,just don't keep cranking the engine ,or your looking for "it".
Drive'm Hard
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

sure it isnt a bad connection at the fuel pump. on my car i had a problem with shard turns and bumps. if i hit them the pump would get jostled and it would stop pumping. i cleaned the terminals and it never happened again.
vittorio
Alfa GTV6 NZ
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfa GTV6 NZ »

A similar thing happened to me one time i went over a rail road crossing, the engine just cut out.

It happened to be a loose connection in/near the fuse box. just check that all your fuses are secure. it took me ages to find the problem so i got angry and kicked the dash and it sorted the problem so i knew were to look. :oops:

Karl
1987 GTV6 - Livin in New Zealand.
Alfa GTV6 NZ
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfa GTV6 NZ »

Did you have any luck finding the problem?

Karl
1987 GTV6 - Livin in New Zealand.
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

Yep Karl, think it is probably a bad earth somewhere. Very low current at the injectors. Also the wipers and windows have been a bit slower than usual. Hope it is that simple. Will check into it when I have a bit more time.