AJ
Silver
Silver

Identifying a pair of cams. AR6.111,272s

Post by AJ »

Long time reader first post.

Does anyone know what kind of cams these are?

AR6.111,272s

I suspect C&B, but can´t find them anywhere on their website.

I´ve just pulled them out of a 2.5 12v with a giant hole in a piston and am considering putting them into my 3.0. That is after having them checked out of course.

I also would like to know if they are suitable for a street engine?
Would these cams require milling of the pistons or cut outs in the tappet holes?

Specs would be nice, but honestly they dont make much sense to me.

If they will work with my 3.0 i have been plannig for some time to at least port match everything, have it balanced and maybe change to a 164S (or whatever you call it, i call it QV) block with pistons etc. That is if i can get hold of one...

Would these cams be suitable for something like that?
Attachments
75an.jpg
75an.jpg (32.97 KiB) Viewed 5602 times
Peab
Silver
Silver

Post by Peab »

Hi,
I have a pair of the exact same cams! These are rare and made by Colombo & Bariani but they are no longer sold by them so hence you will not find them on the C&B webpage.

The C&B product code reveals some of the features of this cam.
AR6 : for the V6 12valve
111: they have lift 11.1 (more than the C&B cams sold now)
272; duration of the inlet valve (less than those sold now)
S: Stradale (street cam, not a full race cam that would have been a C = Corsa)

After some investigation i have found the following full specs on these, although i will not guarantee this 100%.
Valve timing :
inlet valve 26-66
exhaust valve 65-25
Duration inlet 272deg
Duration exhaustt 270deg
Overlap 51 deg
Lobe separation angle 110deg

It would be interesting to hear from the engine experts in here what they think of these specs.

I think you should be fine with putting them into a street car. But in my engine there were cutouts in the head casting around the tappets to accomodate for the high lift lobes. I don't know if this is actually required, but you should check out how your 2.5L was in this area.
I'm just putting them into my newly rebouilt engine so i havn't really tested them yet.
AJ
Silver
Silver

Post by AJ »

Sadly the 2.5 alredy has alredy taken the road to recycling so i no longer have the possybility to look it up more closely, it had dropped a valve, at least one liner was cracked, one combustion chamber was really messed up and had started leaking cooling fluid and there was aluminium flakes all over...

But i do think there where cutouts... I´ll just have to get hold of a head, try fitting a camshaft and see what it looks like, 11.1 does sound like a lot of lift though.. But then again i´m not really that good with cam specs.

Another question: Does a 164 1993> head fit an older 3.0 V6 like mine? I´ve heard something about differances in engine length?

The thing is a friend of mine is replacing his 164 1993 engine and i just might get the heads for free or at least pretty cheap.

Best regards.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Welcome AJ...
Nice cam you have there..good lift,its what our engines need...bit short on durtion unless that spec is at .050"..then you have a real wild race cam..
The engine is the same length..your 164 heads will fit,no problem..

Get the cr up with those cams..it will realy benefit the package..
Peab
Silver
Silver

Post by Peab »

I am very curious how these cams will work out in my engine as well. I have now replaced my pistons to Mahle forged Gr.A pistons machined down to a compression ratio of abt. 11.3:1. Anyone who have experience with these cams with higher compression pistons?
It's a 2.5L by the way.

AJ: My cams came from a 2.5L engine i purchased in sweden. They were installed initially with the standard pistons. The valves didn't touch the standard pistons, so i guess this will be OK in a 3.0L as well without any need for machining of the pistons. Just check that the lobes dont touch when rotated, then there are no worries.
AJ
Silver
Silver

Post by AJ »

Hi and thanks Barry.

Peab

The 2.5 is a different thing than the 3.0, the 3.0 has if i am not mistaken bigger valves, higher CR, when i think of it nothing is the same...
Peab
Silver
Silver

Post by Peab »

Well, they have many shared components and the general design concept is exactly same. The pistons are similar in design, with hemispheric combustion chambers, even if the 3.0L has a slightly larger bore. The compression ratio in 3.0 is 9.5:1 versus 9:1 in the 2.5L, if i remember correctly. Not a very big difference. So valve to piston clearance is probably not very much different. But for me i have only experience with the 2.5 so i don't know for certain. Best if someone with more experience with these cams could enlighten us on this topic.

But you should perhaps consider getting some highcompression pistons while you are at it.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I had the 104.272 with 9.5:1 CR (3.0). It was ok, but not as nice as what I have now (10.5:1 JE pistons). Get the highest CR you can run with those cams. Oh the other thing is, the JE's have a better design and are lighter too.