Kerry
Silver
Silver

2.5 engine waiting to be pulled

Post by Kerry »

I could use some help please, I have my 2.5 engine ready to pull on my 82 GTV6, I have everything loose and ready, down to the motor mounts, I need help from the flywheel back, do I have to drop the driveshaft, I dont like the idea of taking the rusty exhuast off, this is the first time for myself and a couple of friends with the GTV6, so please answer me like the amature that I am. Thanks very much, any help would be appreciated.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Kerry unfortunately you are going to have to remove the driveshaft and the exhaust to do this job.I recently removed my engine and tried pulling it forward off the driveshaft but it just doesn't work.In addition trying to get it back in with the shaft in place is even less do-able.Hopefully the exhaust is not as bad as it looks.
Good luck.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Kerry
Silver
Silver

Post by Kerry »

Thanks Murray, I appreciate the help, I am having the heads done on this and will be putting new rings and bearings in as well, so you will probably see more questions from me in the near future. Do you have any suggestions on reasonable ways to bump up the power alittle on this stock 2.5, since the heads are being done how much more invloved is it to install S cams in relation to extra work that would be needed to accomodate these cams. Does that make sense! Would you recommend this upgrade if I can find the cams. Thanks again!
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Kerry I run the "S" cams in my 2.5L and would highly recommend them.They give you a conservative bump in power (5-10 hp.) and are durable and don't mess up the idle characteristics.Additional power increases can be had but it depends on your budget.Next on the list would be "Total Seal" rings which don't cost much more than stock and also provide a small increase in power.Next step would be higher compression pistons but if your existing liners and pistons are still within tolerances you may not want to keep adding to the bill.Have you had a good look through Greg's site ? He provides lots of usefull tips and tricks.

http://www.hiperformancestore.com/SuperVerde.htm
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
tomp
Gold
Gold

Post by tomp »

S-cams plus new lifter (needed with new cam) would probably cost more than a good used 3.0 motor. Something to consider unless you already have the cams.
-Tom -P.