powderhoundcd
Gold
Gold

Painting Valve Covers and Plenum

Post by powderhoundcd »

I want to paint the valve covers and the plenum of my 2.5l V6. Are there any special things to watch out for? Any special paints?

When I go to remove the plenum, is there anything specific that I need to do, other than remove and mark each and every hose that goes to it?

For the valve covers, am I going to need to replace a gasket (I've never removed these before)?

Thanks for your time!

Carson
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Many people have used vht wrinkle paint to do this job. If you dont like wrinkle, they offer normal finishes too. VHT is readily available in the US in spray cans.
You should not need to replace the valve cover gaskets, but you never know...
powderhoundcd
Gold
Gold

Post by powderhoundcd »

My school just got a sand blaster. Would sand blasting the valve covers and plenum do any damage? I'll post pictures this weekend.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Sand blasting shouldnt do any damage to the exterior surfaces. It will do a very good job of removing oxidation and old oil from the surface, which will allow the paint to adhere better.
Just make sure you mask the underside of the valve covers, especially the sealing surfaces. Also, it might be a good idea to put masking tape over the throttle body hole, as well as the runner holes.