x-rad
Verde
Verde

Antifreeze in exhaust

Post by x-rad »

OK. here is the problem. Started my 3.0 up. Been stored for a few months. Started right up. Let it warm up for 20 min. Pressed the accel a few times - moderate revs. No smoke. No problems.

Then I went around front, listened to the engine. No bad noises. Then I pulled the oil dip stick out while the engine was running. Engine went from about 900 rpm to about 500rpm and a whole bunch of steam came out the exhaust!

I put the stick back in while still running and the idle increased back to 900rpm. Then I turned it off unti I figure this out. The coolant reservoir seemed to be under some pressure and was gurgeling a little. Temp was less than 175 according to the guage (which has been accurate). Driver's side coolant hose was hot. The passenger side coolant hose was cool. Fans did not kick on yet.

It seems like I released some major vaccuum (and I am pretty sure it was a vaccuum) in the crank case by removing the dip stick and this some how allowed coolant into the combustion chambers! Any ideas would be of great help!! Thanks!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Take out all your plugs and see for tell tale signs of a leaky head gasket which would be a "clean" plug tip.
tomp
Gold
Gold

Post by tomp »

Heres a funny test that works. Stick a condom in place of the coolant tank cap and see if it inflates when running. Send is pic if it does.
-Tom P.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

what does that prove, head gasket leak?? or that my car is a STUD!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Well not exactly but it could tell you whether it is fkd or not. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I know it's FK'D. I tasted the bottom of the oil fill cap and it was very sweet....

As for the vacuum release, checked again today. Normal to have negative crank case pressure for emissions. Must have been a major fluke that the steam came out at exactly the same time as when I pulled the dip stick.