mcandiago
Gold
Gold

How Smooth is Smooth

Post by mcandiago »

I have a relatively subjective question, nontheless I think it is valid for me to ask. This question can also go under Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshat but I'll ask it here any way.

I have an 85 Alfa 90 which, the drivetrain from what I understand, is fairly similar or typical to that of the GTV6.

My question is this:

How smooth should I expect the my engine/drivetrain to be?

When the car is still and I rev the engine should I expect little to no vibration?

Currently when the car idles the car is what I would call fairly smooth with a wonderful tone. However when I rev the car in neutral, it is not what I would call wonderfully smooth, if you can catch my drift. I can't tell if it is engine or drivetrain (i.e. tail shaft unbalance)

When the engine is loaded (i.e. driving) You can not feel any discernable vibration, and on certain days the car does feel magic, which really preplexes me.

So before I go take things apart and meticulously troubleshoot, I would like to get a perspective on whether others experience the same thing.

Cheers,

Marco
Marco
1985 Alfa 90
Burger
Silver
Silver

Post by Burger »

I have 2 GTV6's ,and idling they are both kind of "rumbley" but under load they are nice and smooth.Perhaps if you notice some vibration during driving you may have a driveshaft donut on it's way out.
mcandiago
Gold
Gold

Post by mcandiago »

Hi Burger,

thanks for the reply. All the donuts are new, however, I spoke with the previous owner who told me I should probably get the driveshaft balanced.

I honestly can't feel vibration during driving, only during idle when I rev the engine.
Marco
1985 Alfa 90