Rob205
Silver
Silver

Supercharger help please

Post by Rob205 »

Hi All,

I'm a bit behind the times I know but can anyone help me with this please?

I was hoping to get the Greg Gordon supercharger kit for my 2.5 V6 as I'm looking for improved low down torque and power for a road engine rather than outright power. I've knocked the Rotrex route on the head as their power delivery is too high up the rev range.

I've been in touch with Greg who has put me on to his fabricator (many thanks) and he can still supply the fitting kit, however I'm having real problems sourcing the Magnuson MP62 supercharger required - a bit crucial that.

I've been in touch with Magnuson to see if they can supply but they've not been overly helpful so I'm now down to two possibilities:

1) Source a second hand MP62 - anybody know where I can get one of these?

or

2) Use an Eaton M62 (much more common) and have a fabricator build a kit (I know somebody with experience of this and the Busso V6 so not a problem).

I've heard that the Magnuson MP62 using Eaton M62 internals that Greg's kit utilises is a 4th generation supercharger, but I don't know if the actual Eaton M62 is the same.

Does anybody know if Magnuson performed any additional engineering on the Eaton M62 to make the MP62 and if so was it these changes that evolved the supercharger to be 4th gen?

Many thanks in advance.

Rob.
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Supercharger help please

Post by Steve R »

Hi Rob,

Not sure what country you're in but 62 series supercharger units are relatively common from various car manufacturers. The internals of the same generation blowers are identical in all, but the external castings and packaging differ hugely from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some are very bulky and there isn't too much free space around the v6 motor in a GTV.

In Europe Mercedes used various versions on their numerous kompressor models from late 90's onwards (beware the least powerful engine versions are M45's), if you're in US then 1990's Olds, Buick and Pontiac apparently used 62's. Avoid M45's as they max out around 210bhp.

I'd recommend getting Greg's book, it's really useful and informative.

My GTV6 is supercharged using an M90 from an X300 90's Jag XKR or Aston DB7. This is the smallest casing, shortest snout M90 I could find. Would be total overkill and inefficient on a 2.5 so stick to the 62, but the M90 is great on a 24v 3.0, although I'm probably pushing the survival limits of the transaxle box.

My thread in under introduce yourself viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4687 the video was on low boost, 6psi :D , now running 9.5 psi :twisted:

Post something on your build, it'll be interesting to see.
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
Rob205
Silver
Silver

Post by Rob205 »

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for the info and your thread on your build. I'm actually just up the road from you in South Oxfordshire, which in a global sense makes us almost neighbours.

I wish I could say that, like you, I was going to do all of the work on my car, but that would be a big fat lie so I won't :oops: . Luckily I know a man who has the knowledge and ability. I'll be happy to post progress, though it's going to be much more "light touch" than the detail you've got on your thread.

We'd figured on using the Eaton M62 supercharger from a Mercedes 2.3 litre but I didn't know that this supercharger varied in size according to application. Do you know if the Merc M62 is one of the larger or smaller versions?

Once I get a spare minute I'll start up a thread on my build, my GTV6 has got a fair background story so in the absence of tecchie detail I'll try to keep it interesting.

Cheers,

Rob.
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Hi Rob,

The merc 230 sounds like a decent option, casing looks compact which is useful to maximise use of limited under bonnet space.

This sort of thing rebuilt :- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eaton-M62-Su ... SwCtJaddox

I quite enjoyed making my kit, seeing as you're at most a couple of hours away, let me know if you need a helping hand !

S
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Be aware that the Mercedes types usually come with an electro magnetic clutch type pulley.

On the 2.3 they used the m45 as well as the m64.
Drive it like you stole it...
Rob205
Silver
Silver

Post by Rob205 »

Duly noted many thanks.

Second hand M62 now purchased from a running car, luckily not a million squid so if it doesn't work not too much lost.

Let the games begin...

Steve, thanks for the offer of help - maybe I'll see you at one of Alex's open days some time. Do you have any dealings with Autolusso in Dorset?

I see from Michael the forum owner/administrator that this forum has a limited time span now - firstly may I say thanks to him for running the forum and also to everyone who's posted valuable information.

As my build is likely to extend over the end of this forum I need to make a decision on where to post. Any suggestions?
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Rob,

Alex Jupe is very familiar with the GTV6, probably a lot more familiar than Autolusso. So custom GTV6 projects is not an issue with him

http://alexjupemotorsport.co.uk/