maritimeboy84
Silver
Silver

Cams and Valves

Post by maritimeboy84 »

Having developed a knock in the right head of my father's 2.5 GTV6, we decided to pull the valve covers and take a look. What we found was a badly worn valve lobe and tappet. So, at the recommendation of so many, we replaced the cams with those from the 164s. We pulled the heads, did the head gaskets, and through in the new cams. The engine is now back together, and the knock on the right side is gone. :D

However, we now have a knock occuring in the left side. We've had the cam in and out, checked the clearences, and it all seems good by the numbers. :(

One more thing, if you apply pressure to the cam cap nut on the face of the cog, the knock goes away completely. Now, we're stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thankyou
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Hi:

Does this happen when the engine is cold or hot or both?
I have a knock that happens when the engine is cold and disappears as the engine warms up. I think its due to lack of lubrication on the #4 cylinder intake valve as the oil bath in the head seems to empty out for some reason (noticed when the valve covers are removed). Anyway, it’s been like that for years and does not seem to cause any wear on the cam or lifter.

Cheers,
Michael
1981 GTV6
maritimeboy84
Silver
Silver

Post by maritimeboy84 »

When first started (cold engine) you can't hear it, but by placing your thumb on the cam cog nut, you can feel it. As it warms up over the course of a couple of minutes, you begin to hear it.

The original knock we had, which we got rid of, was caused by a worn lobe and tappet which, as you say, was loud on startup, and would then slowly go away. Look for pitting on the face of a tappet.

Thanks for the feedback

Does anyone have any information on modifications that need to be made to install the 164S cams. The knock we have now only started since having installed the new cams. Thanks
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

If going for a aftermarket programmable ECU, would adjustable cam sprockets be necessary? I haven't seen/read anyone using them and if there are some available, where can I get them? Thanks for any info
Brian
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Brian,

Why do you need one? For the TS or V6? In either case, no you don't need one.
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

Yeah, I just re-read my post and figured it's probably only relevant for the quad cam engines.
Zamani,
Did you have any problems with idle using the C&B cams and did the autronic allow you to achieve a relatively smooth idle?
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

The quad cam motors already have adjustable cam pulleys from the factory 8)

So you dont really need them - But I went with Lightweight Alloy pulleys for my 3.7 race motor :D

But only to look cooler than everybody else!!! Sad I know. I can tell them it's worth 1/2 a second a lap :D

Was a development between myself and Div at Glenwood
Attachments
Super cool blue to match my car!
Super cool blue to match my car!
Quad-cam-pulleys.jpg (39.51 KiB) Viewed 6959 times
Andrew b
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

A couple of things that can and have caused knocking in engines have been broken rockers ,valve seats coming loose,bearing cap studs stripped during tightening,and my favourite-worn small end bushes.
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

ADJUSTABLE CAM GEARS

Post by x-rad »

ANDREW.B

Where did you get the adjustable cam gears??

Anybody else have them for a 3.0l dual cam???