Octopussy
Silver
Silver

Post by Octopussy »

New injectors and seals will definitly be on the list. Along with a new set of pistons, rings, and a new head. I'm thinking I'm just gonna do a minor rebuild while I have everything apart. I'll post pics in this thread when everythings finshed.

The way I see it whatever doesn't kill it will only make it stronger. :twisted:
Attachments
DSC00018.JPG
DSC00018.JPG (92.25 KiB) Viewed 7450 times
Alex
84 GTV6
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Ouch...

Perfect time for an upgrade, high comp pistons and port/polish. :D

Make sure the rod on the dead cyl is true. If not, buy Carillos. ;)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Yeap. Get the JE pistons from Paul Spruell (0.5mm overbore). Stock rods are ok (if they are straight). Other than that, hmm hey get the S-cams Luis is selling.

Or ask Barry to offset the small end bushing to get higher comp with standard pistons.
Luis
Gold
Gold

Post by Luis »

If you need a head, or both heads i can sell you 2.5 heads from a old 2.5 engine that i´m breaking. (i´m breaking a 75 2.5 for parts).

The problem is shipping, maybe expensive than the heads price...

A Set of pistons and liners 2500 cc 88mm 75 V 6 / GTV 6 / 155 V 6, 598€ from www.okparts.net.
SPAIN
Silver
Silver

LINERS

Post by SPAIN »

Luis I have seen your comments on OKparts.net. As you know I'm having my car restored in Cartagena, Spain. Two of the stock liners are useless and cannot find new ones without having to purchase the complete set. Where can I get two stock liners from? I do not need the pistons nor rings. I have been to www.okparts.net but cannot find the reference.

Alfa Romeo in Cartagena will not supply the liners for the GTV6 and do not know if other liners will match(references are different). Liner Reference number 6052353 (75 2.5V6) and 60523252 (155 2.5 V6) look similar to mine but have different references.

Will any of these fit my car?

I have also read through the article on injectors. Do you recommend I replace all injectors and seals now. Is it that risky to keep the original (22 year old parts)?

Regards to all

Pancho
Luis
Gold
Gold

Post by Luis »

Clean your stock injectors and change seals.

Is a bad idea to change only 2 liners whith the old rings, you still have old parts, so you still have an old engine, and pay let´s say 200€ for it?

Why spend money on that? you can have new liners, pistons and rings whith 600€ !!
Reale
Gold
Gold

engine rebuild

Post by Reale »

I have to agree. If you are going to do a rebuild, it would be a better idea in the long run to replace them all.
-Al
Al Mitchell
Reale Motorsports
#82 E Production
Alfa Romeo GTV6
Octopussy
Silver
Silver

Post by Octopussy »

Update: I got a new head and am just waiting on pistons, rings, and gasket set(just stock componets, the stuff you guys suggested is way too expensive for me :cry: ) .

I'm currently tryin to clean up and check my new head particularly the valve guides. I'm having trouble getting the cam out so I can get to the intake valves. I can't figure out how to seperate the cam from the timing gear. I got the big nut off that secures the plate and thoose other three bolts out so the cam moves independetly from the timing gear. I just can't seperate the cam from that plate with the three bolts.

I appreciate the help
thanks
Alex
84 GTV6
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Alex what I did was use a good strong three legged puller.The end of the cam is tapered and this plate is very tightly pressed onto the cam.You need to get your puller very well set up and use a lot of torque.I also suggest you heat the plate with a propane torch.It's also a good idea to move the postion of the puller's legs around the circumferance of the plate as to much force on a single spot can bend the plate.Be carefull, when the plate finally pops off it will do so with a great deal of energy and fly across your garage.There is a proper AR tool for doing this job but my method worked fine.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Octopussy
Silver
Silver

Post by Octopussy »

I've kinda forgotten about this forum(I've been alittle overwhelmed by the Alfabb) I just want to let everyone know my GTV6 is running again. I have about 2000 miles on it since the rebuild and still goin strong. I also wanted to thank Milanoguy, Murray, Luis, Greg, and everyone else that tried to help, much apperciated.

I have another theroy as to what might have caused this to happen. I've heard that it is sometimes common for the exhaust valve stems to stretch over time(this can be seen by decreasing valve clearence) and eventually break. If you look at the pic I posted of the head you can see the exhaust valve has broken off spun around and been rammed back into the valve seat. There is also a valve sized gash in the piston and the head. Leading me to believe that the valve caused the damage not detonation. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again
This Alfa will hopefully stay on the road.
Alex
84 GTV6