4sfed
Silver
Silver

Post by 4sfed »

iachella wrote:I've read this whole thread with great interest. The idea of the 155TS engine on a Nord block intrigues me greatly. I haven't been able to determine from the discussion of the water return problem, if it is just due to the space at the back of the head to the firewall in older GTVs. I'm thinking about the Alfetta GT and I just looked at mine and I have at least 4 inches (10cm) from the back of my head to the firewall (bulkhead). What are the dimensions of the fitting that bolts to the back of the head? It would seem an easier mod would be to build an elbow with a flange to bolt up to the back of the head, at least on the Alfetta.

Are there any other problems with the Nord block to the 155TS head, or is this the only major one? How do the exhaust studs line up to the 75TS exhaust manifold. My Alfetta would use the standard exhaust manifold from a 75 and custom made ones wouldn't be necessary.

What else can people tell me about this conversion?

Thanks,
Stefano

That it is going to be a royal pain in the butt, the head studs are different between the Nord and the TS. Much easier to just use a 75 TS engine as a base.

Mats, I have to disagree . . . it's fairly easy. To make up for the shorter studs in the Nord block, all you have to do is counterbore the head to 19mm, 25mm deep and use shank-type lug nuts. It can be done on a drill press and it all fits very neatly under the cam cover. The drawing below shows the type of nut I'm describing.

The 75 TS exhaust manifolds will bolt directly to the 155 head and you should be able to use the front section of a 75 TS exhaust system to connect with the Alfetta exhaust.

The "elbow" you're looking for is the original 155 thermostat . . . see photo. It points toward the exhaust side, but may allow you to eliminate the u-tube that's part of the Alfetta lower radiator hose. See photo.

You'll also need a new set pistons. The 75 TS connecting rods are 1 mm shorter than the Nord engine, so you can replace pistons and rods, or buy a set of conversion pistons from Paul Spruell. So that he doesn't need an additional Carrillo rod for the TS engines, he makes a piston with a raised wrist pin location. I think they're available in 84 mm and 85 mm.

The intake side of the 155 head is different. You'll have to use the 155 intake and an EFI, or make a manifold the one below for 45 DCOE Webers.
Attachments
155TS_carburetor_intake994.jpg
155TS_carburetor_intake994.jpg (35.05 KiB) Viewed 9284 times
155TS_thermostat999.jpg
155TS_thermostat999.jpg (38.7 KiB) Viewed 9283 times
lug_nut.jpg
lug_nut.jpg (16.43 KiB) Viewed 9285 times
Jim Steck
iachella
Silver
Silver

Post by iachella »

Jim, thanks for clearing up the water return problem on the GTVs. It doesn't seem to be a problem in Alfettas then. That picture of drilled water jackets, although beautifully done, seems excessive if I have enough space back there.

How about the piston/rod issue? What about keeping the Nord pistons and rods? If the piston comes up to the top of the liner in the Nord, wouldn't it be fine with a TS155 head? Is there an interference issue with valves to consider?

My plan would be for the existing or aftermarket FI, and the modified Marelli distributor with Nissan twin spark cap for spark. Does the existing 155TS ECU supply spark?

Are there any other hurdles for this conversion. So far, I don't see anything I can't do or have someone locally here do for me. I'm very near Norman Racing and know John, Dennis, Dan, and Michael pretty well.

I am also considering the 75TS complete package, but am looking at other options. I have had several leads on a single engine leftover from someones two-engine deal, but all have fallen through. I've got one going now, but it might likely fall through too. I'd rather not buy two and go through all that. It seems finding a head from a 155TS is a real option and it has improved characteristics to boot.

Thanks for all the info. Any other input?
Stefano
Stefano, Concord CA
74 GTV, 79 Alfetta GT
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Is that a regular lugnut? Haven't seen one of those for ages, last time was for my Saab 900 T "Inca" wheels. :)
If you can get the nuts and can handle the machining it looks like you are right (again).

And here for no particular reason is a link to a Giulietta pick-up:
http://funnycars.blogspot.com/2005/10/a ... ck-up.html
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
4sfed
Silver
Silver

Post by 4sfed »

iachella wrote:-------- snip-------

Jim, thanks for clearing up the water return problem on the GTVs. It doesn't seem to be a problem in Alfettas then. That picture of drilled water jackets, although beautifully done, seems excessive if I have enough space back there.

How about the piston/rod issue? What about keeping the Nord pistons and rods? If the piston comes up to the top of the liner in the Nord, wouldn't it be fine with a TS155 head? Is there an interference issue with valves to consider?

Thanks for all the info. Any other input?
Stefano

Stefano,

Since you haven't seen a TS in person . . . the combustion chamber is a completely different shape from the Nord engine. A piston with a 10:1 compression ratio is almost flat on top. Here's a cross section.

mats wrote:-------- Is that a regular lugnut? Haven't seen one of those for ages, last time was for my Saab 900 T "Inca" wheels.
If you can get the nuts and can handle the machining it looks like you are right (again).

It's a lugnut for a Dayton wire wheel for something like an XJ6. Very nicely made . . . heat treated, chromed and polished . . . even if it doesn't show with the cam cover installed. The normally aspired Bonneville TS is put together with them.
Attachments
75TS_combustion_chamber.gif
75TS_combustion_chamber.gif (67.91 KiB) Viewed 9240 times
Jim Steck
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

iachella wrote:
use 75 TS pistons or 155 pistons with rods .... 75 ts piston will give you around 11:1 CR but u must deepen valve cutouts in piston slightly (0.5mm) and cut outer edge of piston crown slightly(sorry for my english) cose TS piston in nord rod will go higher by 1mm :)
Jim do you know difference between nord and TS crank ? cose i have one nord crnak regrinded 0.20 and carbonitrited and want it in my TS engine if my actual TS crank is damaged (antifreeze in oil shittt :( )
4sfed
Silver
Silver

Post by 4sfed »

TS_turbo wrote:
iachella wrote:
Jim do you know difference between nord and TS crank ? cose i have one nord crnak regrinded 0.20 and carbonitrited and want it in my TS engine if my actual TS crank is damaged (antifreeze in oil shittt :( )

The 75 TS crank is the same as a late Nord engine . . . except for pilot bushing. The thread size for the crank pulley is larger than earlier engines, but interchangable. I used an early Nord crank in a 155 block for the Bonneville turbo engine. It has Carrillo rods the same length as the Nord engine, and custom pistons. The 155 TS crank has a longer stroke (90mm) but the height of the block is the same as the Nord . . . so parts can be interchanged.
Jim Steck
iachella
Silver
Silver

Post by iachella »

I spoke with Paul Spruell today. His piston when used with TS75 rods yields a CR of 10.1. They can be used with Nord rods and give a CR of 11.1. They are, however, 85mm dia. He can have them made in 84mm, but they cost more. For the 85mm ones, he has the liners to go with them. They are stronger than stock liners. I can't remember if he said you can bore out the stock liners. When I am further into this project (should I chose to undertake it), I'll call him again for any unanswered items.

TS_Turbo's suggestion of TS75 pistons for a CR of 11.1 is pretty simple. I also like that the TS155 pistons and rods can be used; they might be available from the doner engine. Any idea what CR that will come out to?

There was a discussion about the timing cover when fitting a TS75 head to a Nord block; I think the timing cover of the TS75 has to be acquired, or something. Is this the same situation with the TS155 head on Nord block?

Jim - Paul says hello. He mentioned he sold you the first TS engine that ever arrived in the US. The parts arrived new when the engine was still in production. That must have been pretty cool.

Thanks for all the great info. Hope there is some more great info to my other questions.
Stefano, Concord CA
74 GTV, 79 Alfetta GT
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

Hello :) 75TS and 155TS have diferent pistons and rods ... thats why if tou use 155ts pistons u should use rods too ... 155ts crank have bigger stroke by 1,5 mm and 155 pistons on nord crank will reduce CR ..thats why i prefer 75TS pistons on nord rods for 11:1 CR
slightly off topic but anyone have tried 2x inlet cams in TS head? how to set inlet cam in exh. with removed variator ?... thsi is from old forum
We tune twin s 8 valve motors we use say 300 deg
inlet and ex cams with no adv we have to mod the pistons to do this we use forged
so you could use two inlet cams no probs
but you will need to make a hub to take the
ex chain wheel?
make the ex pockets in the pistons the same
as the inlet you should be some where near
dont set it up on the timming mark as this is
retarded setting you will have to work this out
try around 106 deg full lift
try setting the inlet up on std marks and
advance it then deg it to see where it is in std
hmmm interesting :D
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

iachella wrote: There was a discussion about the timing cover when fitting a TS75 head to a Nord block; I think the timing cover of the TS75 has to be acquired, or something. Is this the same situation with the TS155 head on Nord block?
The bolt that goes upwards through the front cover on the Left side of the engine is in different positions on the Nord and 75 TS and there is a mounting bracket for the Crank Angle Sensor (CAS) on the 75 TS cover that you need if you are going to run stock injection system and can be very helpful when installing an aftermarket system (this is true for the TS front pulley too).
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
iachella
Silver
Silver

Post by iachella »

Mats,

That seems to be what I remember from that discussion as well. What about the 155 TS head? Does the Nord block need the front cover from 155 TS block?
Stefano, Concord CA
74 GTV, 79 Alfetta GT
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I honestly don't know, but an educated guess would be: Yes, you do, due to the same reasons as on the 75TS
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!