sfyamr1
Silver
Silver

3L Pistons - Can U Recommend?

Post by sfyamr1 »

Well, it's time for a rebuild! A swap, actually. I've located a clean 3L to put into my GTV6, and although a lot of re-build work has already been performed on it, the pistons are suspect, so I need to replace them while it's out of the car.

I already have S cams, filter, CSC exhaust, MSD E-coil, etc., so I want to drop higher comp pistons in. Nothing crazy, just a little boost to take better advantage of the other upgrades. I would use 10:1 S pistons,which would be perfect, but apparently they have slightly different wristpin offset than the stock 3L and won't work.

Can anyone recommend great aftermarket pistons? Where you obtained them? How reliable / easy to work with they are? How much they cost?

My first thought is to look to Mahle, JE or Wiseco, but any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks,
Douglas
LA, CA
'84 GTV6
Hamishm00
Gold
Gold

Re: 3L Pistons - Can U Recommend?

Post by Hamishm00 »

sfyamr1 wrote:Well, it's time for a rebuild! A swap, actually. I've located a clean 3L to put into my GTV6, and although a lot of re-build work has already been performed on it, the pistons are suspect, so I need to replace them while it's out of the car.

I already have S cams, filter, CSC exhaust, MSD E-coil, etc., so I want to drop higher comp pistons in. Nothing crazy, just a little boost to take better advantage of the other upgrades. I would use 10:1 S pistons,which would be perfect, but apparently they have slightly different wristpin offset than the stock 3L and won't work.

Can anyone recommend great aftermarket pistons? Where you obtained them? How reliable / easy to work with they are? How much they cost?

My first thought is to look to Mahle, JE or Wiseco, but any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks,
Douglas
LA, CA
'84 GTV6
Howzit.

My 3.76 engine is getting JE forged pistons (102.4mm bore though). Running 11:1 compression (realistic max for our fuel here).
Dos circos de 156 3.76L v6 cavalinhos
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

I'm actually thinking of using JE's also. Who would be the best person to buy them from?
Hamishm00
Gold
Gold

Post by Hamishm00 »

twinspark6 wrote:I'm actually thinking of using JE's also. Who would be the best person to buy them from?
Since you're in the states, perhaps www.jepistons.com
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:19 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since you're in the states, perhaps www.jepistons.com

I'll call them. Sometimes certain companies will not sell to individuals. Just dealers or a shop.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

J&E

Post by Zamani »

Get J&E from Paulspruell.com . Get it with the Total Seal rings.

I changed the oil in May (Castrol Syntec 5w50) went to Buttonwillow raceway (close to Bakersfield) for a weekend event and since then, almost no oil consumption.
Hamishm00
Gold
Gold

Post by Hamishm00 »

Yeah, will also be running total seal rings with the JE jobs.

The JE pistons are actually chevy v8 pistons that we picked up cheap (they probably did a few laps, when one of the 8 pistons blew up, and they replaced the whole set (ie 7 good pistons remaining) that have been remachined for the alfa valves and the 11:1 compression.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Hammish
I just looked on ebay and it seems used forged v8 pistons are dirt cheap here in the US. Does anyone know which pistons could be machined for use in 12v V6 Alfas? I am guessing the 3.76l engine used pistons from a small block V8. Was it a 4.6l, 5.0l, or a 5.7l? What did you use for liners?
I want to get some non interference pistons like the SuperVerde, so I doubt this would be an option for me. That said, I would still like to find out :wink:
Thanks
James
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

My uneducated guess is the 5 liter 8) .
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Do you think it is worth the time and effort for to machine down pistons? Unless you need are doing a big bore conversion and know exactly what to do I suggest you just get something which has been tried and tested. Get the J&Es from Paul Spruell, it's worth it. Or ask Greg for 3.0 specs for Venolias.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I will buy somthing that has been tested. I would like to get some pistons like greg's father, in fact.
I am just interested in any possibility of using cheap easy to get stuff to make our cars go. This inquiry is an academic exercise because it does not fit my application well.
Do you know if paul spruell can get low comp pistons? I didnt see any on his site.
:idea: I could just call, I guess
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Hamish,

which sleeves are you using witht the pistons?
I guess they are 350 cid? Pistons are dead cheap but sleeves are more difficult to find.
Hamishm00
Gold
Gold

Post by Hamishm00 »

Micke wrote:Hamish,

which sleeves are you using witht the pistons?
I guess they are 350 cid? Pistons are dead cheap but sleeves are more difficult to find.
Volvo truck liners 102.4mm bore. Not sure exactly what the specs are, better ask barry!

the pistons were from chevy v8 racers, as I said - cutouts were machined for the multivalve v6 head.

That's pretty much all I know about what's going on in Barry's laboratory.
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

Pistons for american cars are very cheap. Let me give you guys an example. I bought forged pistons 4.030 for my v6 gm I used trw pistons. Good for 600 hp and cost me $300 a set. I was thinking of using srp's which are cheaper than JE but are made by JE. They were $385 a set but are only good for about 15psi of boost. Anything higher than that and they crack. I even Inquired with CP piston and was quoted about $600. Getting the parts made in the US is really cheap. Ross and other company's would do them for $500 to $600. Has anyone inquired with Eagle to make rods for the alfa engine? Here are some pics of srp's and JE's. NOTE- both pistons are forged. sorry not alfa specific but it's regarding the manufacturer. JE's are GOOD.
Attachments
JE's srp.jpg
JE's srp.jpg (107.06 KiB) Viewed 10580 times
cracked pistons.jpg
cracked pistons.jpg (95.72 KiB) Viewed 10582 times
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Got a job card open with Ross on about 4 varying sizes (1.6, 1.8, 2.0 and big-bore V6 pistons...) They cost a GREAT deal more for a single run-one set job of a custom piston. (try 200 to 250 dollars per piston by the time you ship to South Africa...)

Multiple sets of a custom piston bring the prices down some. (Maybe 130-150 USD per piston...) That's what I have been doing for the past year...

A single set of an EXISTING piston gets even cheaper... (One lucky set that we needed, fit an existing forging they had and the price came down to something like 130 dollars per piston)

Multiple sets of an existing piston are the MOST economical (but you're still looking at 100 dollars plus per piston including wrist-pin, rings, retainers etc...)

For the guy in SA; Sorry. Import duties adds 40% to 100% if you get taxed....

Same pricing mind-set holds true with connecting rods... (Again here; I have multiple jobs open with Don Pauter on the Pauter rods...) I have also purchased from Carrillo, but not direct. Through Spruell...
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...