Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Barry,

I didn't check the forging type for my JEs. But there are 2 types. One is 2618 and one is 4032 (JE calls this the SRP). These 2 types of material are probably available from almost all forged piston manufactures, except Venolia. The 4032 requires less clearence, like 0.0025" which is closer to stock cast pistons.

Maybe mine is 2618, but so far oil consumption has been minimal and I can't here it rattle even on cold startups. So there's a chance mine is the 4032 type.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Of course it's all a game of comprimises. The lower expantion pistons are weaker. If you don't need the extra strength great, but for forced induction, epecially if you plan to play around with boost levels etc. I think the extra strength of conventional forged pistons is well worth it.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

One other thing, if you are going to rebuild using stock liners or something mildly overbored with stock head gaskets, the advantage of custom made pistons is the potential weight reduction and you can configure the dome shape. I was told by Paul Spruell that the dome of the high compression 3.0 pistons he sells are superior to the stock pistons. I also like the fact that they are light.

Another possible improvement is how the oil is routed around the ring lands which can give better lubrication to the piston pin. I think the JEs I have is better than the stockkers in this respect.

About the oil consumption, for my engine, it is around 1 qt/ 2000 mile. In fact during the last 1 year. It consumed almost no oil after 5000 miles. But to be on the safe side when asked, I would say 1 qt every 2000 mile which is average for many cars using cast pistons.

Anyway the goal of performance build is to put performance ahead of longevity. So there's no way you're gonna get a 100,000 mile engine when you want to get max power and rev the living shit out of it every day. Today I must have touched 6800 rpm about 10 times. Now that's on a slow day :)
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Ok, a couple things. I don't know much about those piston fatcs you say here :oops: My interest in this stuff is maninly to know what pistons are good for a rebuild (maybe overboring) but which need no work on their tops!!

I there's a stock bigger piston out there (96mm for example) that can be bolt on in my 3.0 12v engine after a liners machining, that's what I'm looking for!
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Jose,

Best not to reinvent the wheel. When it comes to being creative with what pistons are available for use for a bored out the Alfa V6, Barry is the man.
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

Barry!, now tell us about those bike pistons for the TS! Pretty please :wink:
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Ok, Z :wink:

Barry! Illustrate us! :D. Maybe you could start a new topic about overbored or higher CR pistons!! Bike pistons for the 3.0 V6??
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Jose,A bigger sized piston for our 12v motors with out any machining of the tops??Not that I know of..
If your running 24v,use the Nissan 350 piston as is..
If your going real big you can start looking at flat top pistons as the bigger bor makes up for the compression ratio...
I use flat tops in the 3.8 with the small combustion multivalve heads..

Dennis,will mail you..
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Barry, you didn't read far back enough.

What about them bike pistons?????
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Micke,got your post,sorry...
Pm me your e-mail,will you??
Ill send you and Dennis the data...Gotto pull it from my archives as such... :wink: