Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The guide are new. I guess it's possible they were reamed out too much at the machine shop.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Agree totally on the TOTAL SEAL rings here-have many engines running with them including turbo`s and not a momnts problem

Hola,Pancho-Use your total seal rings,They will give you excellent results......

Greg,Murray,To this day I dont know why the other set of heads smoked.I cannot determine why-have not pulled them apart yet,but no tell tale signs at all.

RZ,You definatly have a guide problem with the symtoms you describe..New seals are going to be a temporary fix unfortunatly..
Many machine shops make the mistake of removing the guides with out cleaning off the carbon residue and this gets forced up the guide and head material.The trick is to clean,take the guide out from follower side to port,and use a spray lube.Fitting is also critical so as not to gauge grooves in the guide or head for oil to migrate down in......I atually dont trust the shops to do it properly and do the removal and fitting myself.for that matter I try and do as much as possible.

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
SPAIN
Silver
Silver

greg's super verde

Post by SPAIN »

Sorry guys for the misunderstanding. Certainly feel much better now. Thanks for the advise.
Murray, Is it essential to rotate the original liners 90º . Why is this done. Two of my orignal liners are useless and must be replaced. How will the reguild affect with the combination of 2 new and 4 used liners?

Any comments pleae. As mentioned before i'm still in time.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Pancho the theory behind rotating the re-used liners 90 deg.is that the heaviest wear (rings-pistons) has occurred at the top and bottom of the bore.If you look closely at your liner you'll see vertical wear lines at these positions.By rotating the liner 90 deg.you're providing a slightly less worn area of the liner for the rings to run against.
As far as replacing two of the six barrels- as long as all six piston/cylinder combinations end up well within the AR specifications I don't see why there would be a problem.Just make sure that all six liners are honed in the same way.Total Seal instructions provide you with a description of the desired angles for the "cross-hatching"which should be visible once you hone them.Make absolutely sure you CLEAN the bores VERY thoroughly before assembly.Wash them in warm soapy water 3 or 4 times and dry them out with a clean white cloth after each washing until you see zero evidence of metal powder on your cloth.This is very important.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

Barry wrote:Agree totally on the TOTAL SEAL rings here-have many engines running with them including turbo`s and not a momnts problem

Hola,Pancho-Use your total seal rings,They will give you excellent results......

Greg,Murray,To this day I dont know why the other set of heads smoked.I cannot determine why-have not pulled them apart yet,but no tell tale signs at all.

RZ,You definatly have a guide problem with the symtoms you describe..New seals are going to be a temporary fix unfortunatly..
Many machine shops make the mistake of removing the guides with out cleaning off the carbon residue and this gets forced up the guide and head material.The trick is to clean,take the guide out from follower side to port,and use a spray lube.Fitting is also critical so as not to gauge grooves in the guide or head for oil to migrate down in......I atually dont trust the shops to do it properly and do the removal and fitting myself.for that matter I try and do as much as possible.

Barry

Barry , can you please explain why?
Chen S
ex Giulietta 24V Glenwood TT.