Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

O yes, I thought it looked familiar, I have looked at that starter too. :)
I see you piont about weight, I thought you had more acceleration through the whole course.
The seals around the VVT is a beatch to get to stay dry, seems like they never manage to pack the right piece of rubber in the gasket kits. :/
So the 155 head has the front left under-up screw through the timing cover in the Nord location? That sounds intresting... :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I have now held a 155 TS 8v piston in my hand, what a difference compared to the 75 part! Much lighter, we're talking at least 100 grams... :o
The design of the piston raised a couple of questions though as the compression height is greater and there is a quite large dome as well, this means that either the rod is shortened quite a lot (bad move) or the crank is further away from the head (highly unlikely).
The crank itself seems to have a longer stroke since the engine is 1995cc compared to 1962 in the "old" TS, or so I've been told. Seems to be correct as all the 155 litterature states 1995 for the 8v TS.

So where does the extra millimeters go? Did they really shorten the rods even more (remember that they shortened it 1mm compared to the Nord already)? Why not move the wrist pin UP instead of down..?
What is the compression ratio on the 155 TS anyway?
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I finally accepted my fate and forked out some good money for a set of 38mm throttle bodies for the 12v 3liter. This diameter is just right for the flow potential of this engine, although the rpm for max power moves out of reach, necessitating other costly things like...rods ($$$)! :cry: We'll see...
The TB set I got from...ebay last week and I am expecting delivery soon.
We'll have a lot to talk about Maurizio!! :D
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Haha Jim, 6 throttles? We need to start a new thread.

BTW I have 3 sets of SPICA throttles (about 39mm each). They need to be cut and welded but looks promising. Cheap too.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hey Z,
I think you're going to have a hard time adapting the Spica TB's on the V6. I have a set of these and was looking at the same thing the other day...thats when I decided for something I'd have to pay for! The amount of surgery required just isn't worth it.
BTW, have you ever spent a long time in...jail? :lol: How the hell did you have the patience to open up the stock runners??? :shock: I opened one up to 38mm and I've just about had enough! How much do you charge for a 38mm set???Name your price! :lol:
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Guys... TS! as in: this thread is about...

:P
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Yo, Zamani, see what you did?? Now we pissed the big M off! Lets get outta the way,quick! :oops:
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

yeah.... YEAH!!

You motherbeatches, I blow you!!!

;)

Just thought now we got this nice new forum, why not at least TRY to not go wildly offtopic in every thread after five posts. :P
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
4sfed
Silver
Silver

Post by 4sfed »

The 155 connecting rods are shorter than the 75 and 3 mm shorter than the Nord. I have no idea why . . . it makes no sense to me!?! Yes, the stroke has also been changed to 90 mm, but the block is the same as the 164. The 155, 164, 75 and Nord liners are all the same.

The Bonneville engine is a mix-and-match combination of 155 block with a Nord crank and rods (Carrillo) with custom pistons. The timing cover is from a Spica-injected spider. Cylinder head is a 155 and the 8 mm bolts from timing cover to head line up perfectly.
Jim Steck
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Maybe the difference is there to reduce the weight / innertia.
The 3 mm shorter steel connecting rod and a much lighter aluminium piston wrt the 75.
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Thanks for clearing that up Jim.
Maybe they wanted a more torquey motor (lower in the revband that is)?
From an engineering point of view it is absolute madnesss though, increased force on the liners and surely acceleration forces on the rods.
On the second generation 155 stw engines they even removed one compression ring and made the wrist pin smaller to get a longer rod, everything to compensate for the silly bore/stroke ratio I guess.

That 8mm bolt moving around on the left hand side of the head is kinda interesting too, wonder what made them move it on the late Nords and then move it back to the previous position for the TS. It's not like they needed the space or anything.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Mats wrote:Thanks for clearing that up Jim.
From an engineering point of view it is absolute madnesss though, increased force on the liners and surely acceleration forces on the rods.
On the second generation 155 stw engines they even removed one compression ring and made the wrist pin smaller to get a longer rod,
I don't know how forces of a combustion on top of a piston look like. But actually moving down the piston pin will reduce the radial forces on the liner. (M=F*l increasing l will lower F)

Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

How do you figure? A beam with joints at the ends can only transmit forces in the direction between the two joints, shorter rod means more angle fron the centerline in the liner = more radial pressure on the liner.
Also means better angle for the transformation between a linear motion to a circular but more acceleration at TDC.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

I was looking to the piston only, one pivot point (piston pin in connecting rod). Reacting force against rotating the piston has to come from the piston ring contact area. So moving the piston pin down will lower that contact force in piston ring vs liner.

But your comment is also true, there has to be a nice compromise in al the veriables.

Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

The rings are floating in their grooves, they don't hold the piston centered, the oil film does that.
One of Newtons laws (the first one?) are about bodies in non-accelerating state and the fact that the forces acting on the body must then cancel each other out. Looking at the piston it is clear that it is not doing much accelerating in the side to side direction and since the rod can only take loads in it's own center axis direction there is a rather large chunk of the load through the rod that is transferred into the liner wall and it is getting bigger when you increase the rod angle from liner centerline.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!