jrreeve
Gold
Gold

Engine Running Rich and Starting Issues

Post by jrreeve »

Hey all,
I've got a couple issues. First and foremost is i'm having an issue with starting the car. It usually cranks and turns over right away and then after 10-30 seconds it dies...like its not getting enough fuel. And it becomes almost impossible to start without draining the battery. I used to be able to remedy this by turning on the fuel pump. Fuel pump is new. I'm not sure if i've got a bad fuel pressure regulator or what? It wouldn't make sense for the cold start valve to be bad because it starts...or the thermo time switch either. Suggestions? AAV? I'm a little stumped.
The second is the car is running very rich! Try 11-15MPG rich...not good. The timing is advanced a couple degrees and air flow meter has been adjusted accordingly. I know if the AFM is adjusted incorrectly it can cause a number of problems...including starting. I'm going to check the AFM against Greg's site. Could there be another issue I am having. I am also going to be replacing the O2 sensor today as well...just in case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
'84 GTV-6
torrente
Silver
Silver

could be your L-Jet

Post by torrente »

Have you troubleshot your L-Jetronic through the checklist? I have a spare computer for 2.5 if you want to buy one, I`ve just transplanted a 3.0l in mine and am curretly using a 3.0L computer so I have an extra. This controls fuel richness etc...The fuel pressure sending unit is known to be bad when the thing leaks due to diapham breakage. You might want to go through and check or replace all of those nasty hoses that comprise the induction too. Ciao.
jrreeve
Gold
Gold

Post by jrreeve »

I don't have the check list here. It's at the garage in Richmond, and i'm up in DC. I also think i have a spare Milano ECU i should be able to swap out. I want to get the ECU moded but I need to make sure everything is straight with the idle and everything.

I've cleaned out the AAV. I've adjusted the AFM...but i'm getting a lot of black smoke (carbon I think) out the back...like its running really rich. I haven't had a chance to change the O2 sensor but is there anything else i'm forgetting?

Rob
jrreeve
Gold
Gold

Post by jrreeve »

Alright,
I've fixed it...the AFM was totally out of whack...way TOO RICH! It explains a lot. Unfortunately now, it looks like I have to replace a fuel line that ruptured. Oh the joys!

Rob