AlfaBeta
Silver
Silver

Engine support stand

Post by AlfaBeta »

Hi Gang,

Has anyone used one of the standard types of engine support stands that bolt to the back of the block using the torque tube bolts? (see "stand" pic right hand side). I noticed in the workshop manual they show a different type of support using the side of the block by the side mounts. (see attahced). Just wondering if the first type would work since these are widely available here in the US.

thanks
AlfaBeta
Attachments
stand.gif
stand.gif (4.39 KiB) Viewed 8202 times
engine support stand.doc
engine support stand.doc (53.5 KiB) Viewed 8205 times
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Yes I used that type of stand- no problem.You have to use some washers to get everything snuggly bolted up,make sure that you don't bottom out the bolts in the engine block holes.I also used a wooden support under the oil pan as there is a lot of weight hanging out there.
Attachments
ENGINESTAND.jpg
ENGINESTAND.jpg (28.83 KiB) Viewed 8188 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

A variation on Murray`s stand,same basic stand,but very Alfa specific..

Murray,you on Skype??
Attachments
DSC01171.JPG
DSC01171.JPG (143.81 KiB) Viewed 8168 times
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Yes Barry the "variation" is primarily that which is hanging out off the end of the engine stand :evil: My 2.5 would probably serve as a good starter motor on yours.
No I don't have Skype - should I ?
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Currently I have both a Nord and a 2.5 v6 hangin on the reaf flange in one of those engine stands with four arms.
Seems to me that the person that designed that stand usually plays around with big blocked engines as you really need to play around with those arms to get it to fit. :roll:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
AlfaBeta
Silver
Silver

Post by AlfaBeta »

Hi guys,

Thank you for the replies (and the great pictures!). I already printed them out.

thanks a lot
AlfaBeta
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:shock: Shit Murray,Ive been Skuping some Murrayh bloke in Canada for a while now...thought it may have been you.. 8)

I posted my stand as I bolt the engine on sideways using engine mounting bolts...

Starter motor,...not at all...Nice engine there...your cars??
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Last edited by Mats on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Only problem I have with the rear flange mount like Mats is that the flywheel ,seal and bellhousing has to be ass off the stand.

This engine is on the stand here,but the other side manifold does not fit,so I still have to ass. the manifold off the stand..
Rather a manifold than flywheel,somehow i need to hold the crank to torque the flywheel bolts..
Attachments
DSC01228.JPG
DSC01228.JPG (145.41 KiB) Viewed 8049 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I used a rear flange stand from Harbor Freight. Cheap piece of cr*p, but after some welding, it worked great. Bought some 11+ hardness metric bolts at local hardware. The thing is, you need to put on and take off the bell housing while engine on crane. Also, get a four wheel engine stand, much better balance....and therefore safety. Finally, don't trust the stand to hold the engine. Always put a jacked block underneath to support the engine when not turning it ( and remember, when turning, these are top heavy) You can get a floor jack in easily under the engine on the U-shaped four wheel stand.

I know you can't see everything in the photo, but trust me, it's there!
Attachments
stand.JPG
stand.JPG (94.64 KiB) Viewed 8016 times
krash2
Silver
Silver

Harbor Freight engine support stand

Post by krash2 »

Hello,

I'd like to get the motor out of my GTV-6 parts car before our upcoming house move. Once it's out, I'd like to attach it to a Harbor Freight 1000 lb. engine stand (the 4-wheel model, about $50). How would that stand mount to the V-6 motor? What is the most straightforward way of doing that? Fabricating some sort of mounting adapter plate, maybe?

All advice appreciated.

Charlie Koster
San Gabriel, CA
xrad
Verde
Verde

Re: Engine support stand

Post by xrad »

It is nearly the same one I have. It has 4 adjustable slides. Go to home depot or hardware store and pick out some correct sized (width/thread and length) metric bolts of at least grade 8 AND about 20 large washers to fine tune the fitting up. Yu will need to have the mount plate off the stand to get the right sized bolts.

Stand works out fine. I am getting another one this weeked for second engine project.