Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Oil Leak

Post by Steve R »

Advice wanted please for an annoying oil leak on my GTV6

My V6 is leaking from the joint between the sump and the block, not between the flat part of the sump base and the sides, but where the vertical part of the two part sump bolts to the base of the block. The leak is worst at the back near the flywheel where it seeps down the back onto the sump fins and forward motion of the car blows drips of oil back to the exhaust downpipes. messy & smelly when hot. :(

Looks like an absolute bitch to change that gasket with the motor in the car. Has anyone removed the whole sump without removing the motor from the car? I dont mind dropping the exhausts etc to get access, but don't want to have to take the whole thing out just to change a gasket. I've tried tightening the bolts up cautiously, but didn't stop the leak.

Hope I can do this with it in the car ! comments please
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Steve.
I don't think the main sump can be removed with the motor in place. I would also be concerned about the flywheel seal and the rear main bearing block seals.

David
1985 GTV6 3.0 Zender Body Kit - Red
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

It could also be the rear crank seal leaking...... looks just like rear sump gasket failing!!

Engine out job.
Andrew b
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Thanks guys, that's not the answer I wanted, but unfortunately the one I was expecting !
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged