dcefali
Silver
Silver

What is this relay for?

Post by dcefali »

It was just above the fuse box, screwed to the lower edge of the dash. 1986 GTV6
Attachments
relay GTV 6
relay GTV 6
P1020160.JPG (124.14 KiB) Viewed 3686 times
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

That's the windshield wiper relay.Often on North American Tropic-Aire equipped cars water runs down through the disabled driver's side cowl air intake and into this relay so if this is your case and your relay is giving you trouble that could be the reason.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
dcefali
Silver
Silver

Post by dcefali »

Interesting, I of course have a N. am car with tropicaire,..... and my windshield wipers are goofy. And yes water had some how gotten inside the relay. But with the relay totally removed the wipers still work, although they are basically manual. I would think the wipers would not work at all with the relay removed?

Doug
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Doug my description was incomplete :oops: That is in fact the wiper delay relay.It provides the intermittant action,so that would explain what's going on.If you open up the relay you may be able to save it.If there isn't a huge amount of corrosion or blown circuits,clean the circuit board with contact cleaner let it dry and give it a try.As for the leak,either you can remove the dash :evil: or live with it and move or seal this relay.When they installed the Tropic-Aire system they but a plastic blanking plate over the cowl air inlets and the silicon they used dries up over time.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER