x-rad
Verde
Verde

Engine head

Post by x-rad »

I am having trouble finding a left side head for a 3.0L. How much different are the 2.5 heads? Can one (or two) of these be used? Will the mating surface of the head work with the 3.0 gasket??

I can't see Alfa making major changes to the casting, but maybe they did???
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

,J,Very different,combustion chamber is bigger,valves are bigger size....
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Your right, the valves are and combust chamber are smaller on the 2.5, But I can fix the valves and seats, and still get increased compression...

I need to know if the oil and water passages, overall dimensions, and the mating surfaces are the same...especially if there is enough metal to seat the cylinder metal ring portion of the head gasket......

I read that the inlet and outlet ports are same size, but that's all i could find
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

100 readers and nobody knows???? Somebody must have tried it??
jornmason
Silver
Silver

Post by jornmason »

the heads are not the same dude! how much are you looking to spend on a 3.0 head? i have a few of them lying around with no problems.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

A friend of mine in Australia says the water and oil ports match up....
jornmason
Silver
Silver

Post by jornmason »

the passageways may be the same but the crown of the combustion chamber is not! not only would you have to change the valves and seats, you would also have to undergo major machining to the combustion surface. if you want to do this, you can use the heads, the cams are the same, obiously not lift, duration and what not but i have s cams in my 2.5. i dont think the intake and exhaust ports are the same ID you would have to do some porting to match the heads, unless you want to use both 2.5 heads, but i would still open up the airways, engines got to breath. i know all the heads i have are good, no cracks or warped surfaces, they dont have many problems with these heads, but the ones that do hit the scrap yard. ill have to check to see if i have a left head and wether or not its completly assembled, i know they all have valves and springs, not sure about the cams, though i would go buy a set of new cams, the L cams had a tendency to go flat, while the s cams did not, you could also go colombo bariani, i believe they are a little cheaper and they offer a couple different flavors.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

If I have to, I will go the 2.5 route. I would probably leave the chamber alone, but definitely work the ports and valves and cam.....

Still would be cheaper than 2200$ core charge (since my core is bad) plus 800$ head charge = 3000$ from IAP (can't buy just one).
jornmason
Silver
Silver

Post by jornmason »

larry Jr. wont sell you a head? he gets cars with blown motors all the time, i cant believe he wouldnt have one or be willing to sell just one. i just looked through my stock, sorry all i have is one bad 3.0 head and several 2.5 heads. the milano heads are the same as the 164 heads, so you can use either, just have to swap the distributor drive gear from the 2.5 head.