MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Stripped Threads in Exhaust Manifold Mounting Holes

Post by MerrilGordon »

Well I finally did it. Too many removals, replacements, and ham-fisted torqueings on my part. I stripped out the left rear hole for the exhaust manifold bolt. I’m still using stock cast iron exhaust manifolds so using those long bolts into the head.

I’m wondering if a longer bolt might find enough threads ?
Probably not a good thing to try.
I could drill out to the next size and use a larger bolt.
Don’t like having one different than all the others though.
Can the hole be drilled deeper without hitting a water jacket or something ?
Probably not a good idea either.
So there’s the Helicoil insert. Probably the best choice, but is there a better alternative ? Seems I remember reading about another type of insert recommended for Porsches that was stronger than a Helicoil. Any of you guys know about that one ?

Any recommendations welcome.
Thanks,
Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Merril,imo the helicoil is more than sufficient for the job.You could of course go for the solid insert thingy,but I reckon its overkill.
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

I'd be interested to see how the helicoil used, are they strong enough for the cam "cap" bolts. I noticed a hairline crack in my cam/tappet cover at the middle off the exhaust side cam and one of the bloody cam cap bolts has been stripped, well i can't get enough torque on it :twisted: I assume this led to slight movement, enough to crack the cam cover slightly :evil: before i pulled the motor......

anyway be interested to see how this is all done!
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Matt I used Helicoils on 3 of the 5 cylinder head bolts on an old 400cc Yamaha motorcycle I own.That was 10 years ago and they are holding up just fine.That was before I learnt about the importance of using a torque wrench when working with aluminium :lol:
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll go with the Helicoil.

Torque wrenches. Yea, I've got a big one but what's really needed is a small one for many of the fasteners into aluminum we have in our Alfas. I need to get one and not have any more screw-ups like this.

Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Helicoil...definately strong enough..much stronger than the alu...sometimes hard to find specific metric sizes...use thread assembly lube