AlfaBeta
Silver
Silver

Engine rebuild - piston liners

Post by AlfaBeta »

Hi gang,

I'm going to be doing a bottom end rebuild soon and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the seals for the bottom of the piston liners. Is it a good idea to replace these also since everything will be apart or is it better to leave them be as long as nothing is leaking?

Thanks a lot!

AlfaBeta
Peab
Silver
Silver

Post by Peab »

i'd say : replace. These seals are taking a lot of punishment from the internal heat and are probably very crisp and aged by now. Good to get some fresh rubber in there.

Even if you leave them on the liner, just the dismantling / mounting of the liners may cause them to break and initiate a leak.
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

If you're going to replace the liners, those o-rings should be included in the kit. In my opinion, If you remove the liners, then you should replace the o-rings with new ones.
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Jose,did you get my PM??????????????
AlfaBeta
Silver
Silver

Post by AlfaBeta »

Hi guys,

Thank you for the replies. What if I wasn't going to remove the liners? I planned on just boring them out. Actually, I guess there are 3 scenarios:
1) bore liners but never remove.
2) remove liners and replace seals, then bore out.
3) replace liners and seals with new ones

any thoughts?
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

best you can do is to remove liners clean them and liners's nests(!@#) put new seals and may be some high T RTV silicone for peace of mind ..reinstal liners and bore them with torque plate ...
AlfaBeta
Silver
Silver

Post by AlfaBeta »

Hi TS-turbo,

Thanks for the reply. I think this is the path I will take. I'm hoping it's not too difficult to remove the liners??

AB
Peab
Silver
Silver

Post by Peab »

Liners are not pressed into the block, they are only mounted with a fine tolerance slide fit. So they normally slide right out with light hand force. But sometimes they can get warped, i guess due to overheating, causing them to get stuck. On my engine i had one such troublemaker. With a piece of wood and a hammer it came out after a while.
AlfaBeta
Silver
Silver

Post by AlfaBeta »

Hi Peab,

Thanks for the reply. That makes me feel a lot better actually, I was hoping I didn't have to heat the block...press out the liners....etc. That would have been a huge pain!

thanks
AlfaBeta
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

If you have your engine on a stand and the stud/liner retainers are off, be sure to put a thick blanket in a cardboard box or something similar to catch each liner when it falls out. Found that out the hard way!
KingDom
Silver
Silver

Engine rebuild-piston liners

Post by KingDom »

A successful way of removing the liners is by fitting a top compression ring to one of the old pistons and fitting it upside down the bore all the way down till the ring expands past the bottom of the sleeve. Then you can punch it out with a block of wood and a mallett. You may want to use some penetration oil and soak the liner/block joint overnight before attempting the removal. I have used this method on the 4 cyl engines, just had to cut out a little bit of dome on 2 sides to clear the bearing webs. I am not sure about the v6 engines but its worth a look. I am sure I got this idea a long time ago from this site!
KingDom
Silver
Silver

Engine rebuild-piston liners

Post by KingDom »

A successful way of removing the liners is by fitting a top compression ring to one of the old pistons and fitting it upside down the bore all the way down till the ring expands past the bottom of the sleeve. Then you can punch it out with a block of wood and a mallett. You may want to use some penetration oil and soak the liner/block joint overnight before attempting the removal. I have used this method on the 4 cyl engines, just had to cut out a little bit of dome on 2 sides to clear the bearing webs. I am not sure about the v6 engines but its worth a look. I am sure I got this idea a long time ago from this site!
tomp
Gold
Gold

Post by tomp »

TS_turbo wrote:best you can do is to remove liners clean them and liners's nests(!@#) put new seals and may be some high T RTV silicone for peace of mind ..reinstal liners and bore them with torque plate ...
Im surprised to here that they are bored in place. I was thinking they could be bored and honed like a single cylinder motorcycle.
-Tom P.
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

yes i know ... but after my friend f*&ck brand new set of forged NA pistons, we measured cylinders when non torque honed ... all ok .. but when instaling head-miror torq plate and tightnen it to specs , difference was 0.04 mm :? and this is for solid cast iron block ...for turbo aplications where is plenty of clearance there is no mater .. but if u put some tight clearance NA forgies or hypereutectics , proper way is to bore liners torqued in block :?