tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Cam timming

Post by tImBoWe »

So i've been having trouble with my timming belt jumping a tooth. Running a rekitted hyd tennsioner. Am going to block oil feed and charge the hyd tennsioner with grease and reinstall. But the thing that has got me thinking is this: Those here that have had the same probs running moded cam profiles? Does any one with stock cams have this worry? Just a thought... Seems to do it at idle when the engine is shut down when hot with low oil pressure. Am gona put an extra accurate pressure guage in the system to see exactly what the hot idle pressure is.
Is there any way to beef up the oil preesure at idle? Relief valve spring? Any one else have low pressure at hot idle?
Cheerz Tim.
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Tim,
The thing to remember here is that the tensioner actually de-tensions the belt, so higher oil pressure at idle won't help. The tensioner actually goes into full de-tension immediately the engine starts when cold, so has nothing to do with engine temperature and I would suspect stays that way even at low oil pressure when hot. You need to make sure the tensioner is locked back when setting the tension on the belt.

David
1985 GTV6 3.0 Zender Body Kit - Red
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Guys,make the tensioner a fixed type and tighten untill you can only twist the belt at its longest section by 90 degrees...works everytime,no problems..