MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Where do you see a slipped timing belt?

Post by MR2 Zig »

I ask because I've got the cams at their respective marks, but the P on the crank pulley is past the pointer by .....about a tooth of the timing belt.

I havent gotten into it further yet as it's bloody hot here, 107 today, and I've been trying to hide in the air conditioning.

It will get a new belt, etc as what's on the car is unknown and doesn't appear to have been well taken care of by the previous owner.

Thanks,
Scott
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

All I need here is a "yes, you're seeing the skipped tooth problem" or "no, you've got something else wrong".

Thank you,
Scott
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Scott if the crank is at TDC mark "P" and the cam marks don't line up with the marks on the cam caps then yes your timing belt has skipped at least (hopefully) one tooth.The only other explanation I can come up with would be if the cam drive wheels are not properly indexed to the cams but that is highly unlikely as they are normally "keyed" to the cams or at least a very tight press fit if the keys were left off due to head shaving etc.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Thank you Murray.

I was thinking that it was the slipped tooth, but I wanted to get some confirmation on that as I'm not yet familiar with these engines.

I don't think the head has been reworked. My reasoning is that the engine is a 3.0 from a junk yard....still has "1988 alfa romeo milano" in paint pen on it.

Thanks again,
Scott