Murray
Verde
Verde

Valve seals - opinions appreciated

Post by Murray »

I am just about to put my heads back together (1986 GTV6 2.5L) and have a decision to make.I have installed the AR.factory valve guides-steel ,yes I have read extensively about the nasty aspects of these things but I have decided that I am willing to risk sacrificing my valves long term as my local AR guy says they work very well.Now I have to chose seals.I have 3 types to chose from.Seals 2 & 3 are claimed to be made of Viton-good ? whereas seal #1 is the Alfa OEM part.The difference betweem 2 & 3 is that # 2 is really hard to fit onto the valve guide (see damage in photo) and has a coil spring around the top to create the seal with the valve stem.#3 is easier to press onto the guide and has two spring-steel clips molded into the rubber one to exert pressure around the valve stem and the other to squeeze around the guide.Anybody have experience with these types ? Your opinions would be much appreciated.
Attachments
Seal1 (1).gif
Seal1 (1).gif (140.24 KiB) Viewed 5742 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Murray,Why re invent the wheel? I know the yanks like the viton seals on everything with 8 pistons but I have had no problems with the factory GREEN seals.The black ones were a problem at one stage...but I think some bugger was bringing in some real nasty stuff then..

I would go with the factory setup everytime.
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Ok,never looked at the pic.The seal I use is the no 2 seal you have.

Use a Snap On 12mm extended tube socket to fit the seal.It grips the steel insert and does not damage the lip as this is pushed into the socket..Then lightly hammer it into position..
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Thanks Barry.Yes I've decided to go with No.2.No.3 is the most recent type my local Alfa guy received from Italy and I think there is a big problem brewing because not only do they go on easily they also come off when you push the valve stem up through them.I have new AR factory steel guides and if anybody uses these new seals (#3) they are going to get a nasty surprise ! I had a great deal of difficulty finding the #2 type- but finally Joe at Centerline was able to help me out.
1986-GTV6
DrEntropy
Silver
Silver

Post by DrEntropy »

The guys at Centerline have been my supply line for years. They've never given me bad info.

Don't forget to use some sort of smooth cap and plenty of oil over the valve ends as you push the seals over 'em: the sharp edges of the relief cuts for the collets can shear off material from the I.D. of the seals.
Dr E--
mhm 17x1
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Thank you "Doc" and welcome aboard.Your advice re installation is right on target.I suggest that anyone going through this installation for the first time order some extra seals as the likelihood of destroying some (most in my case) can slow down progress considerably.I found that heating the seals in boiling water prior to installation helps a bit but it is absolutely critical that the seal be perfectly square to the valve guide before you start tapping them down.
1986-GTV6