Murray
Verde
Verde

Tightening Crankshaft pulley nut.

Post by Murray »

I know that many have wondered how to undo this damn nut but now I'm going to be a contrarian.I removed the nut by jamming a block of hardwood between the crank balance weights and the block and wacking my ratchet with a mallet.Came off just fine !(Good Canadian engineering eh!) Now I have reassembled my block and have decided that doing the same in reverse is not suitable.Engine is on a standard motor stand so the flywheel is not on.How do you figure I can prevent engine rotation while delivering 174 ft-lbs of torque ? The only solution I can imagine is to fabricate a plate which I would bolt to rear end of the crank and to the block using the bolts that normally fasten the flywheel.Any better ideas ?
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Murray,a 4pnd hammer handle (wood) jammed between no 2 throw and the block gets a reasonable torque on the nut.Short of this Im confuzzled.

A drop of loctite at the end of the threads also works ok.Dont smother the whole thread in loctite,its a bitch when you have to loosen it again.

Any other ideas??
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Keith
Silver
Silver

Post by Keith »

I used the flywheel bolts in the rear of the crankshaft. Leave the bolts loose with about an inch or so proturding and use a long bar wedged between 2 of them and the engine stand to keep everything from moving around.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Thanks guys.I'm going to go with method #2 - flywheel bolts and a bar to block rotation.Now I have to find a fat person to stand on the opposite side of the engine stand to prevent it from tipping :D
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
DrEntropy
Silver
Silver

Post by DrEntropy »

Method #2 is good. Alfa's "tool" for the job is a steel piece which bolts to the block and has "teeth" matching the flywheel... it locks the flywheel in place so's you can torque up the pulley. Quite bespoke, but unless you're doin' an engine a week the bar will work just fine.

Good luck with your "counterweight" search ;-}
Dr E--
mhm 17x1