Barry
Verde
Verde

My 2.8 motor is dead-Barry

Post by Barry »

:D My motor finally died on me this week-Its been making this funny noise for a while now,but it suddenly stopped working.

I found this funny thing in the hole in the engine.

Barry
Attachments
Dsc00596.jpg
Dsc00596.jpg (139.44 KiB) Viewed 11884 times
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Faaaark.

Well that killed it! Time for another 3.7 Barry!!!!

Have you seen Greg's charger kit?? looks fab!

Just planning my trip over as i type this!

Andrew.b
Andrew b
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:mrgreen: Seriously,I have broken and destroyed my share of engines in my time, but this is the first time I have removed a conrod from the hole in the block with the engine still in the car.and the heads still attached.
Attachments
Dsc00601.jpg
Dsc00601.jpg (143.04 KiB) Viewed 11880 times
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

That sucks. Rod bolt failure?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Andrew,Its pretty buggered.Scrap worth. Good stuff,we see you soon then?

I removed the plug to check on the piston-its still in the sleeve!!Top looks good(boroscope) Never say the Alfa`s rods are weak.
Greg,these are 20 years old with serious driving behind them.
Attachments
Dsc00602.jpg
Dsc00602.jpg (137.98 KiB) Viewed 11873 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:oops: Z,eventually!!!
As I said ,this motor has been giving notice for a while now.It used its fair share of oil and has not been happy up at 7000 rpm plus.I actually started hearing what sounded like a valve seat that had come loose in the head (A LOUD "CLACK" NOISE) Putting it down to something like this i drove a further 157km before it terminally expired. At one stage it actually went totally quiet but emmediatly developed a severe vibration.This was when the rod let go and we were on 5 pistons only.The oil consumption went up a bit due to the hole in the block.If it were not for the hole ,I reckon I would have made it home-a further 7 km`s....

Now if you look at the small end,I reckon the gudgoen pin let go...The piston is in one piece and still in the bore..First time for me......
Attachments
Dsc00604.jpg
Dsc00604.jpg (143.26 KiB) Viewed 11870 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Andrew,I tell you what,If I had the cash,Greg`s kit would be on its way to me right now for the 75 milano motor that is now going into the Giulietta.Period.The man has excelled here.......

Stick around ,the 75 3.0l is a tempory measure(I need to use my car daily..)The 3.8 24v is almost done and I also recieved my Haltech e11 for it.........Brrrrrrrr!!!

Some humour ok.Mike??

old lady goes to dentist & spreads her legs-dentist says wrong doctor-she says "shaddup and look for the ol mans teeth!"
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Sweet! Nice job! At least she died happy!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Sam,it is a bit inconvenient that she expired right now-could have waited another month or so untill the big engine was ready.Now I have to change it twice and you know how it goes once an engine is in and running, the big engine takes longer to put in then.......
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Barry

Mmmm - 3.8 plus gregs charger @.4 bar (6psi) whooooah.

what do you think???

I think greg has done really well. I think I'm gonna order two kit's for me... one standard for a 2.5 24v and the larger M90 for a 3.2 gta motor. Any suggestions Barry??

Quick rack will be coming!!!!!

How's the old man by the way?

Andrew.b
Andrew b
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Wow, That's some hole. Since the engine is heavily damaged anyway you should just pull the spark plug, patch the hole with a little panel and JB weld and drive it on 5 cylinders! I wonder what an Alfa V5 would sound like.

But seriously, sorry to see that. At least you got a lot of use out of it and as Sam said, at least she died happy. What sort of power and RPM were you seeing out of this motor? Next to pistons I worry about the rods the most with forced induction so I am keeping RPM low, about 6500 on my 2.5 and a little less of the 3.0.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Greg,never had her on a dyno, but similar spec motors I built did about 157 hp at wheels on std l-jet.Basically big valves,our old group 1 spec cam,and superb balancing and build job.
I was or am running Haltech,but I estimate power to be about the same on top.Lower down the Haltech makes all the difference.

I dont like pushing a street type motor beyond 6500 /6800.I found that with the old style 12v engine the power tended to drop off at about 5800 to 6200 anyway,depending on cam and porting.Mild cams and porting was always in the above region.

You know.I said the rods are strong but it could just as easily snapped .It just did not do so this time-I actually treated this engine badly,it was saveable had I not carried on.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Andrew,the gta engine is a bit peaky and will probably do very well with a sc setup to bolster the low and midrange with the top end being a big bonus.Yes,very nice indeed......

A 3.8 with sc? I dont think so......Plenty torque as is.Dont think conventional boxes etc. are going to handle the torque of a big `un.

Drove with Dawie today in 156 3.7 again.....Damn,these things are strong....Cant wait for mine .
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Greg,you should try sourcing 156 2.5 /gta/30l 24v rods for the older gtv 6 motors-these rods are substancially stronger-the new rods are all the same from 156 .5 24v ,30l 24v and gta 3.2l
The 164 rod is my second option to the newer ones......In our money they are a grand a piece.
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

What better excuse for a 'box up front!!! and a six diff.

Hey Barry, do you have access to any spare Six diffs, in case mine self destructs?
Andrew b