x-rad
Verde
Verde

head gasket

Post by x-rad »

Alfa head gaskets 3.0l:

Many people say Victor Reinz head gaskets are the best

although if you look closely, they are owned by Dana corporation. Money makers. Are these gaskets really any better anymore? MAybe years ago they were....I don't know

I bought the standard 3.0L head gaskets from IAP and had a failure about 500 miles after install. The middle cylinder metal ring had a tiny kink in it (not noticed by me) which becam the fail point later. the other side original and the new left side are fine now (still IAP brand)

Anyway, I am building up a tough engine w/Venolia pistons, carillo rods, C+B cams, all new valve guides, teflon seals, new springs...etc.

any thought on head gaskets?
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Sweet, what compression ratio? 11:1?

I'm using the Centerlinealfa headgasket for my 164S. Forgot the brand but they say it is ok. Car will be ready this Weds.

I used Victor Reinz on my Milano and it has been good so far, 3 years no problems.

I usually insist on Victor Reinz as they are a known quantity, but you never know, change in management could be mean change in quality.
gtv6sa
Silver
Silver

Post by gtv6sa »

we have used reinz gaskets on my 3.0 l rave engine for over 0 years and no problems and we were useing 13:1 compression
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Not sure on compression yet....

Thanks for the input.
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

Victor Reinz gaskets are very good.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

I have in an emergency re used the old VR gaskets off my v6..My Giulietta is still running with those re used gaskets today.
I'm now using VR gaskets on all the 4 bangers as well.. 8)
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Some pointers here and observations re. head gaskets:
If the mating surfaces are CLEAN, most gaskets will work well. What nobody mentioned is the necessity to have FRESH gaskets. An automotive parts supply store here in Athens told me that Reinz, Goetze and Ajusa are respectable makers and they COLLECT the unsold head gaskets every six months, because the adhesive strip (blue, red, gray or black) polymerizes rendering the gasket inefective. Case in point, I had a set of still sealed 'brand new' such gaskets at home for 3 years or so, which I used when I first assembled my 3liter....ever since I started the thing up, I kept noticing a lower level in the expansion bottle....antifreeze was leaking out all around the heads!! No compression loss, just antifreeze. When I removed the heads after a couple of weeks, the gaskets came off in perfect shape, with the 'adhesive' strip still intact and in place!
Respectable stores will not sell you 'dead' gaskets. There is a date code stamped somewhere in there for your assurance so look for it and make sure there are no cuts on the transparent seal pack! If there are, polymerization is progressing faster than it would in a sealed pack.
Jim K.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Freddy Feelgood,

Those 46*C temps in Athens sure have had an effect on your cranium..Used by dates for head gaskets??? !!! What a load of crock. The time it takes to ship them to Oz and send a set to the nearest sheep station would put them out of date before they arrived !!!!!!

Never struck a probelm with genuine Alfa head gaskets. Most troubles I see is incorrect pressure caps on radiators, insufficient or no retentioning after a rebuild, haphazzard use of coolant additives (if any) and the lack of use of distilled water as the main coolant base which all lead to failures.

The best way to stuff a good head is to use good old tap water only..ooohh yeah !!
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I like the reinz gaskets because the come off cleanly...other brands leave a lot of crap in the head which has to be carefully removed..

How about the old 'copper' gaskets...??? I had an engine with three original 'rings' on one side and 'newer' copper on the other...
5yearplan
Gold
Gold

Post by 5yearplan »

Copper headgaskets are usually used for higher CR and high boost applications, but I'm not sure if they cause electrolysis of coolant or help it... I had a Ford Thunderbird in which Ford used different metals for the head and block, so electrolysis was a problem, ruining the coolant in a year or less depending on boost, etc. And I remember looking up a thread in which copper head gaskets were recommending as they keep the coolant from exchanging particles with the head material. But that was a year ago, and I sold the car luckily, so I don't remember.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

well, i guess it's just copper coated.....but came off head real easily
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

So, I'm still hanging out waiting for you to get that 3.0l fixed and dialed it just to see your response to, "So ... how do you like the extra umph of the 3.0l?"

You've got to get through this stuff to put a smile on your face again as you redline 2nd gear! :)

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Gregory..you asking me??

I have had a 3.0 in the car for 3 years...running most of the time..and I love the power

other one and a half engines are 3.0 also but in various rebuild stages..
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Oh, okay ... for some reason I was thinking that you were just putting in the 3.0 :)

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

well..i guess I am just putting in 'an other' one...kind of a constant cycle. :)