zambon
Verde
Verde

groove on my 12v 3.0 crank journal

Post by zambon »

I just took the pistons out of my 3.0 verde engine and I was disapointed to see a groove on the journal for cyl number 4.

What are my options? I would like to keep my three liters, so I am not very interested in installing a 2.5 crank. Can I use a 164 crank? What complications would go with that?

thanks,
James
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

of course..how bad is it (how deep)??? 2.5 crank won't work as journal centers are different.

grind it 01..02..etc??? IAP sells the bearings for 50$
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Thanks for the reply,
I didnt realize that undersized bearings were available. This is a rod bearing, and IAP has .010 over. I will take it in to a machinist this week and see if that will be enough to remove my defect.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

x-rad wrote:of course..how bad is it (how deep)??? 2.5 crank won't work as journal centers are different.

No,they're not..stroke is different if thats what you mean but a 30l and 2.5 crank is interchangeable..

James,if the journal needs to go more than 0.30" I posted a list of Mercedes bearing that could be used instead.. 8)
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

x-rad wrote:of course..how bad is it (how deep)??? 2.5 crank won't work as journal centers are different.

No,they're not..stroke is different if thats what you mean but a 30l and 2.5 crank is interchangeable..

James,if the journal needs to go more than 0.30" I posted a list of Mercedes bearing that could be used instead.. 8)
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Thanks Barry,
This is a deep groove and it would definitely require more than the 10 over bearing that IAP has for the rod journals.
Could you tell me where to find your list? My search attempts were fruitless.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

meant "journal to pin centers are different"
...it will fit... but you can't just exchange without other mods
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I had a mechanic friend look at it today and he said that it looked like a factory oil groove. He reasoned that it is too big a groove to appear on its own. He said that he had seen similar grooves on engines that threw rods, but that isnt the case here. The groove is smooth and there is no blueing around it to indicate that it may have been getting hot.

I dont know what to think, I guess I need to get a photo up here.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

post a pic!!!

.....often there are manufactured oil grooves extending from the oil hole in the crank on the mains. these are longer along the counterclockwise direction for a crank that rotates clockwise. They taper evenly. Also, should be no corresponding bearing wear.

Honestly, I just put my crank in two weeks ago and I don't remember if there were grooves or not....If there were, i thought they were oil grooves as the bearings were nearly perfect...
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

This groove is only on the journal for cyl #4. That is the first rod journal. I will see if I can post a picture later.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

photos....
Attachments
jamiesphotos 403.jpg
jamiesphotos 403.jpg (62.79 KiB) Viewed 9028 times
jamiesphotos 404.jpg
jamiesphotos 404.jpg (60.37 KiB) Viewed 9028 times
jamiesphotos 408.jpg
jamiesphotos 408.jpg (61.16 KiB) Viewed 9029 times
jamiesphotos 409.jpg
jamiesphotos 409.jpg (59.85 KiB) Viewed 9029 times
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

As you can see (sort of), the bearings for this rod are in good condition. No discoloration to speak of, no obvious wear on the bearings or the journal.
The groove is longer in the counterclockwise direction.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Ermm... I think this issue was brought up before by one of the members a while ago. This groove is from the factory I think.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

*smile....*....yea James,its made like that..Thats std. from the factory..dont worry about it..
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Thanks guys, I am very glad to know that it is ok and I can get on with things.