Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

GTV6 starts but dies

Post by Alfettish »

Hi all,
My GTV6 is having an issue where it starts but then dies almost straight away.
When I give it some throttle it dies more quickly than without any throttle. I've checked all vacuum hoses. They are OK. all leads are connected but I haven't yet tested them.
Intake couplers are all ok. Has bigger injectors. Would this be a problem running stock settings with a stock motor?
Also fuel pump appeared to be ticking, not whirring. However I only heard this when the battery was empty. Any ideas? There is fuel in the car. When it runs for a small time it sounds as if all cylinders are firing.
HELP!!!
Thanks,
Tom.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

sounds like you and Sira have similar problem....

how much bigger are injectors? too rich?? does the exhaust burn your eyes?

Did it ever run with this setup?

if it starts and idles fine but dies when stepping on gas or under load...may be air mass sensor, air leak, throttle position switch, fuel pressure, ignition timing

run these down one by one....
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Thanks Xrad I'll have a look tonight.
It's never run with the bigger injectors. Should be supercharged but I need to move the car so I tool it back to stock. Might be too rich. God I hope not. Greg?
Can't keep it going long enough to see if it burns my eyes.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

What is happening here is that the cold start injector is giving a squirt of fuel prior to cranking..
Once cranked it fires up on this minimal amount of "cold start" fuel which quickly burns off..The problem lies in the main injectors not supplying fuel..
If I remember correctly,its got to do with the main fuel pump relay connectors..
Those small half size pins are the place too start looking ..

This is but one of a million possibilities though.. 8)
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Thanks Barry but I got it.
Positive coil lead on the negative prong. i thought I tried all combinations but I got it going.
Thanks x-rad.
If anyone wants to know, I worked it out by keeping the key to the crank position. I knew it wasn't a fuel issue because it kept firing with the starter on. once the key turned back to the run position it died.
Thanks all.
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

As barry says, could be loads of things.

Check pump and filter? jam AFM flap open, ignition on (dont start) and you should hear the pump clearly. if it doesnt buzz away it's fubar, or filter is blocked.

then check AAV, remove it, clean it out. should be at least pertially open cold.

check fuel pressure regulator. Quickest way is pull cold start supply line and hook it up to a pressure gauge. Fuel pump on, and line should give about 33-36psi if I remember rightly. hook injector back up, do same again into a pot.

proves fuel is getting to the injectors, and injectors are firing .

these are the easy things to check. Then your into stuff like the Coolant temperature sonsor, throttle position switch etc. TPS is easy though should click on and off of idle stop.

just a few things to check.
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

DOH! you must have been posting at the same time as me :D glad you found it anyway. :)
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

BIG DOH! :lol: