x-rad
Verde
Verde

Moly ring break in:

Post by x-rad »

This subject has been discussed before but I want to hear if anybody has something to new say about breaking in new moly coated rings. Not chrome and not iron rings...moly rings.

I have read Hastings suggestions. My liners honed appropriately according to them. Rings placed/rotated correctly. So everything should be good to go...

I have read from a few hot rod sites that the first startup should run till engine hot...then shut down for a little while, then run again...all the time staying above 1500 but not over 3500-4500...and then do the second run for something like 2 hours at least....All this in neutral.

any tips appreciated!
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

First 2+ hours in neutral :? I thought you wanted to get load on the engine pretty quickly to seat the rings? Maybe I missed something...
Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
slyalfa
Gold
Gold

Post by slyalfa »

yea that sounds wrong. a break in, in neutral sounds like a very bad thing to do. I do not think the rings will ever set that way.
I think any ring needs load to set. and if you do not get the load the liner will be too smooth to do it after it has ran for a while.

As far as I know if you do not start it and take it out right away for a drive you will get a smoker.
1987 black Milano Verde
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

most common method I've heard is this

start and run engine for 20 minutes at 2000 to 2500 rpm then shut down...don't let it overheat. this is for cam seating.

drive car....vary speed, short hops ok but make them long enough that engine gets to normal operating temp. drive around town and no long trips.

(now gets to where there is lots of disagreement) while doing the around town type of driving don't lug engine or use full throttle for 500 to 1000 miles. basicly use the car, but don't abuse it.

HTH,
Scott
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

scott:

I read some more on break in for moly rings...moly rings carry their oil rather that on the liner (thats why 320 -400 grit hone) and the oil is not necessarily burned away in combustion.

break in is as you say it is by the majority of sites I read. Some even say moly rings can seat as fast as the cam(s).

most say moly rings seat pretty fast and last a long time which is why many US engine manufacturers use them as standard.

So i plan the 20 min break in followed by oil change. then hit the road..

Last rings I broke in were Alfa standards and I don't know if they are coated. I was gentle for about 50 miles , then just ran it like normal(not gentle).

When I had one head off a few months ago, brand new looking liners, and compress excellent all around
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I think the hardest to break in are the chrome ones...but they are, as i understand, the longest lasting.

scott
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

As per pretty much everyone has said:
The v8 guys do a cam break in procedure (20 minutes at 2000-3000rpm) and then pretty much just wail on them.
The guys with roller lifters don't need to do the cam break in...
To break the rings in you need to have load on the engine.

The Chev LS1 and Ford Modular motors here in Oz went through a period of people suffering huge oil consumption issues... not all the fords suffered it, but the ones where they were raped from the word go had no problems what so ever (the Chev was a design/manufacturing issue, the fords was a oil issue. They changed the oil they were delivered with and it went away).
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)