brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Timing Belt Position on Pulleys

Post by brookstroutr »

I recently did a water pump & timing belt R & R. When I pulled the covers, I noticed the old timing belt was not riding completely on the pulleys. When installing the new belt, I slid it to about center of the pulleys. Now it's back to the front of the pulleys approx. 1mm over the front with about 6.5mm of the pulleys exposed in the rear. Is this normal or is the belt line up guide out of whack? I don't like where it is now.

Oh yeah, I left the front covers off to watch this and the front crank seal which has a slight oil leak which means taking everything back offf. Practice, practice practice!!!!!!!
Attachments
GTV6 TB Pulley Position 1.jpg
GTV6 TB Pulley Position 1.jpg (69.44 KiB) Viewed 8545 times
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

is the belt gear behind the crank pulley on all the way? correct spacers/belt guides on the right way? It's the only thing keeping the belt centered...

Brooks, how did you finally get the crank seal out....curious as to which method u used...........
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

x-rad,

Haven't R & R'd the crank seal as I've just justified it's failed condition. I also have not verified the belt's alignment guide. I'll finger this one out as other issues with this motor.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

I was checking out the TB today and tried to reposition it by sliding it more centered on the pulleys. No luck after cranking the motor. I don't like it sticking past the pulleys and it's too damn close to the crank pulley for my comfort as well.

Inspection of the front crank seal and I think I can remove it w/o removing the cover; I hope, but we'll see. It's a slight leak but I'm compelled to repair. Hate leaks.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

maybe the tensioner bearing is a little worn?

obviously, the belt should be back further...

also, if it's too tight it may ride one way or the other?
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

I inhereted the motor in this condition. I was told that an Alfa mechanic owned this car and I can believe it from the work done. It's got the updated tensioner and appears to be correct except the alignment.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

but it was fine before you repaired it and all else is the same except the belt?.....

in that case, maybe it's the belt? Try turning it around
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

Nope, the old belt was in the same position.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

I remember someone posting similar topic as you did. The reason in the case was a screwed up head which has ben surfaced badly, (too much on the front) pointing minimally downwards on the pulley side, enough for the belt to keep slipping..
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

P,

That could be a possibility as the mechanic owner I was told rebuilt the motor. I wonder how to check this out without a teardown. The engine is solid and runs like stink. Just nervous rev'g her with the belt hanging out. I remember my '83 years back didn't have this situation.

From the pulley appearance, it appears to have been run like this for some time.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

maybe you could have two round thin dish-like plates machined to mount to front of cam gears (similar to the washer on the crank gear)

they could just nudge the belt back a little probably without much wear...

would have to change belt more often i suspect

easier than resurfacing the heads.....and you would probably feel much better not worrying about losing your valves
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

Take a look at the distributor/oil pump drive pully and check if it is running true. I have had to replace a bearing in this due to too much belt tension - had about 3mm of float at the pulley and the angle that this caused would push the belt out on mine about as far as you are saying.
Mine was caused by a blocked oil gallery to this bearing.
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

Daniel,

Thanks. I'll take a look at the distributor/oil pump pulley and see if the bearing is OK or not. Makes sense this could be the culprit. Is the bearing available seperate for this pulley?
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

You can buy it, pulling the old one out is the difficult part.
Like I said, caused by too much belt tension and a blocked oil gallery. If your engine sounds like it is supercharged (that give away whine) but actually isn't, check that the tension is not too high and the detensioner is working.
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

Daniel,

I'm not following you regarding "a blocked oil gallery". Where is this located? Can you elaborate on this. My motor has the late model mechanical belt tentioner. This checked out OK when I did the TB change and the belt doesn't appear to have too much tension.

If the distributor/oil pump bearing is bad, I don't think I'll have much trouble R & R'g as I have a press.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi