PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Custom headers - few questions

Post by PietereQ »

Hi
Since I have already broken a set of stock cast iron headers (not to mention they are hardly available, and quite fragile), I think that the only alternatives I'm left with now are custom fabricated headers for 2,5l.
1) What diameter should i go with? Keep with the stock or something bigger
2) length? any suggestions here
3) Shape? I have seen some nice South-African headers, which more or less, resembled the shape of stock counterpart, whereas Beninca's seem to be kinda stretched out... ??
Any suggestions on these?
Thanks,
Pete
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I have the header flanges, if you are interested. But shipping could be expensive to Poznan, PL.
Dr. Alban
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

The standard manifold/header is a very good design, flows very well, so why not get some mandrel bends made up the same as stock header and make out of F40 Mild steel or 304 stainless? But really if it was me i'd just get a good replacement cast iron header, they are very good. If there off, then get them ceramic coated also, i'm about to have mine done.

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

If you can all wait for about 1-2 months, you'll be able to buy a great new set of headers for 12v engines, all in ss with flexpipes and proper size pipes; design is modelled after the CSC which have proper lengths but exceedingly small pipe ID for performance/race use. I'll have pics in a few weeks. I believe GG will be selling them in the US.
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Fantastic news! I will just get parts for my 24V and keep it in storage. Will just upgrade the 12V for now.
Dr. Alban
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

First off thanks guys for your kind offers. The thing is my friend owes an exhaust shop, and since it's winter season he said he'll make me stainless steel headers at a very, very decent price. Which appeals to me since Im about some suspension/brake upgrades. Just wanted to give him a few tips on the layout, but everyone tells me that factory is almost the best you can get, so I guess I just leave him my cast iron headers, so he can base my new headers on those. Anyway I'll post the pictures of work in progress, later.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Also see Kevin's race car thread....has some good pics and such there.

scott