Guy
Silver
Silver

TS ignition timing question

Post by Guy »

Hey there all.

Just a question that popped into my head while reading the TS thread below.

If the TS engine has two seperate distributors, one on the block and one camshaft driven I believe. Are the timing curves for both of them identical? Is the timing set so that both plugs in each cylinder spark at the same exact moment? Or is one of the distributors advanced or retarded with regards to the other distributor? And what effect might this have on the operation of the engine?

I've not had the chance to have a proper look at a TS engine myself.

Looking forward to your answers
Guy
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

Hi :D
TS ignition is controled by Motronic !!! distributors just distribute spark to spark plugs :D i think early motronic fires both plugs together ... later 16 v TS motronic have staged ignition(helps only for economy and emissions) 8)
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Guy,I did a ts motor in an lds Alfa a few years back .This is a 400kg open wheeler type racer.I used the 2 dist. as you mentioned and tried everything from timed spark to phased interval spark.I even removed one set of plug spark and found no difference in the power that the little engine made.The set of two sparks did approximatly halve the amount of timing needed by the engine though....
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.