mark_atterbury
Silver
Silver

What the heck is this

Post by mark_atterbury »

I opened up my project motor and found this strange U shaped metal tube and rubber hose mounted to the pickup of the oil pump. I will try and post a picture.

It looks like it is intended to put small streams of warm oil near the pickup. The rubber hose was not connected to anything, and I could not find a port on the block that it would have connected to.

Service manual was no help either. Does anyone know what this was intended for?

Thanks,
Mark
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Sounds like you are working on a pre 84' car. I don't know what that does, but there is no harm in eliminating it.

Greg
mark_atterbury
Silver
Silver

Post by mark_atterbury »

must be one of those "spare" parts that you are left with after the rebuild. It looks like someone went through a lot of trouble to design it and then did not plumb it to the block. Weird.

Here is a picture
Attachments
oil pump picture.jpg
oil pump picture.jpg (144.7 KiB) Viewed 5445 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

wild guess: maybe it was part of an oil heating/ cooling water system which was never quite finished (meaning hooked up to the pan in some fashion...or another pan which is no longer present?)
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

I saw the same thing in my old Balocco engine - no harm eliminating it. I also never figured out what it was for...
Michael
1981 GTV6
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I don't think anyone knows what that is. I have seen them in early 2.5s, it's not in the later engines. I have suspicions about it's intended purpose, but in any case it was never part of a functional system in a fuel injected Alfa V6.
Silver
Silver

Post by 1166 »

The hose was connected to the bottom of the oil vapor seperator. There was a rubber tube that went from the vapor seperator to the oil pump. I friend lost an engine when the rubber tube coiled itself around the pump pick up.